Sony has just launched its first wearable device for fitness tracking in Taiwan this Monday. The Sony SmartBand SWR10 has a waterproof feature and comes with a removable core unit that houses the sensors that collects personal fitness data which is sent to a smartphone. The company is initially selling the device exclusively through web portal Yahoo-Kimo for NT$3,990 (US$133). After May 8 this device will become widely available through different retailers.
The Sony SmartBand is described as a 24/7 device that can keep track of whatever the user does. It can keep track of movement, communications, and even entertainment. This makes the device different from the other fitness bands available in the market such as the FitBit, Withings, and Jawbone just to name a few.
When used in tandem with the Sony LifeLog mobile app it is able to record the owner’s social activity. It will know about the pictures taken or even the music being listened to. This means that when you look at its history you won’t only get information about for far you have walked or jogged but other things that you have been up to as well.
The Sony SmartBand is officially supported by the Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, and the latest flagship Xperia Z2. Potential buyers don’t need to own any of the mentioned models though as the device works perfectly fine on Android devices that support Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy. This means that it will work on the Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note III, HTC One and HTC One M8 among others.
- OS Compatibility: Android 4.4 or later
- Processor: ARM Cortex-M0 32 bit
- RAM: 16kB RAM
- Flash Memory: 256kB internal embedded flash
- Bluetooth: 4.0 Low Energy
- Transfer Rate: <3Mbps
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Yes
- Battery: Li-Polymer 35mA
- Charging Time: less than 1 hour
- Typical Usage: 5 days
- Stand-by Time: 5 days
- Size (module): 40,7×15,3×7,8 mm
- Removable Core: The SmartBand comes with a removable core unit that houses the advanced sensors.
- Smart Alarm: The device is able to track its owner’s movement and knows when the best time is to wake them up based on their personal sleep cycle. It is able to calculate this and wakes up the owner by gently vibrating.
- Life Bookmarks: Never forget your important memories. Just press on the Life Bookmark key on the device and it will immediately record everything that is going on.