Samsung is a company known for releasing several variants of its popular models. One model that the company has released several variants of is the Galaxy S4. One particular variant which is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition, first spotted last February in a Bluetooth SIG listing, is now available in Europe.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition is now officially available over at the Netherlands with online retailer Belsimpel selling the device for €398 or roughly US$543. So how is this Value Edition different from the original Galaxy S4 model? Its main difference is that it runs on Android 4.4.2 KitKat straight out of the box whereas the original Galaxy S4 ran on Jelly Bean. The rest of the specs between these two devices remain identical.
We’re really not sure why Samsung released this model when the original S4 can already be upgraded to KitKat. This new variant will probably suit customers who don’t know how to upgrade Android devices and want the latest version running on their device straight out of the box. But considering how easy it is to upgrade the Android version of Galaxy devices there really is no reason to release the Value Edition at all.
With the name Value Edition attached to this device you’d think that it’s going be priced affordably. But no, it still costs a lot. The price of the device may just be what is set by Belsimpel and it could be cheaper at other stores.
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; quad-band 3G with HSPA; LTE
- 5-inch 16M-color 1080p Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with Gorilla Glass 3
- Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
- Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 CPU, Adreno 320 GPU; Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chipset/ Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7, PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU; Exynos 5410 chipset
- 2GB of RAM
- 13 MP autofocus camera with LED flash
- 2 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- Dual shot and dual video recording, Drama shot, Shot and sound
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- 16GB/32/64GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot
- microUSB port with USB host and MHL 2.0
- Bluetooth v4.0
- IR port for remote control functionality
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Barometer, thermometer, hygroscope
- IR gesture sensor for Air gestures
- Smart gestures: Smart stay, Smart pause, Smart scroll
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- 2600 mAh battery
It appears that this model is only available in the Netherlands as of now. There’s no indication yet if it will be spreading to other markets. If you are a consumer living in the Netherlands and are looking for a Galaxy S4 then you might want to consider getting this Value Edition.