One of the best ways to charge a smartphone is by using its charger. The second best way is to plug the smartphone to your laptop via the USB port. The latter method however is a much slower way of charging and takes too much time. A new device called Legion Meter aims to solve this problem by allowing smartphones to charge up to 92% faster when using the USB port.
Legion Meter is a plug and play device that connects to the USB port of your laptop. It comes with an OLED display that provides a number of information such as
- The power in Watts that the USB port is delivering to the device
- The current in Amps that the USB port is delivering to the device
- The voltage output of the USB port
- Milliwatt-hour counter which is used to diagnose battery capacity
This device comes with its own built-in multimeter which gives users information on the power being transferred. It comes with two modes of operation, one for Apple devices and one for Android devices. A user simply has to hit the correct switch for the appropriate device.
Once a smartphone is connected to the Legion Meter it optimizes the charge speed by allowing the mobile device to draw in the maximum charge amount possible. This allows for a lower amount of time needed to fully charge a mobile device.
In a test conducted using PC desktop and laptop USB port an Android smartphone can only draw in 2.4 watts of power. When the Legion Meter is used this increases to 4.5 watts which is an increase of 88 percent.
The Legion Meter can also be connected to a wall USB charger. Tests conducted on a 2A wall charger using shows that it has a gain of at least 17% depending on the mobile device being charged.
- Voltage Rating: 2.0 – 6.0 volts
- Current Range: 0 – 3.7 amps
- Power Range: 0 – 22.2 watts
- Operating Temperature: 0 – 85 degrees Celsius
- Connector Type: 1 USB Male A, 1 USB Female A
- Display: High Contrast OLED 128×32 pixels
- Dimensions: 6.1cm x 2.2cm x 1.3cm
- Meters: Voltage, Current, Power, mWh counter
- Intellectual Properties: PLX Intelligent Battery Monitoring and Metering, PLX USB Charge Accelerator
- Construction: ABS Plastic
- Modes: Power Metering, Current counter, Charge accelerator
Legion Meter is currently running a funding campaign over at Kickstarter. The goal is to reach $10,000 and with 27 days left in the campaign a total of $205,284 has already been pledged.
If you are interested in supporting this campaign then head check out the link below. A pledge of $39 allows you to get one Legion Meter with charge accelerator and integrated multimeter OLED display which is expected to ship out this October.