Infosonics might not be a familiar brand to most consumers however this San Diego based company has already several smartphnoes and tablets out in the market today. The company aims to deliver mobile devices that according to them are “unique, beautifully designed, feature packed and provide exceptional value” and its latest product called the verykool S505 “Spark” Android smartphone is one such device that meets all of these.
The verykool S505, which also goes by the name Spark, runs on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, has a 5-inch display, and uses a 1.3 GHz quad core processor. The company says that this device will soon be updated to Android 4.4 KitKat with the help of RedBand Software.
According to Joseph Ram, InfoSonics president and chief executive officer, “We understand that the future of the industry is dependent upon our ability to offer robust applications that provide tools and resources that are important for our work and daily lives. We are on the forefront of this trend as exemplified by partnering with MobileTREC to bring their patented safety platform to verykool users. We believe our goal to provide the best value to our customers is met by the Spark, which combines smart functionality with an elegant design and one of the most advanced safety features available–all at a very affordable price.”
- Android 4.2
- 3G HSPA+ 21 Mbps DL, 5.6 Mbps UL; 3G (850/1900/2100 and 850/1700/2100); 2G (850/1900)
- Connectivity includes Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot, modem tethering, Bluetooth, GPS, A-GPS and USB port
- CPU 1.3GHz Quad-Core – Powered by MediaTek
- 512MB RAM 4GB ROM, 2GB internal storage, external (T-Flash) up to 32GB
- 5.0-inch 1280×720 HD IPS-LCD on-cell touch screen with full lamination
- SMS and MMS messaging plus push e-mail, IM and SNS
- Built-in FM radio, multimedia player and recorder, 1080 HD video recording
- 2,000 mAh Li-Ion battery
- Speakerphone, proximity/light/gravity sensors and 3.5mm audio jack
- Stereo headset, travel adapter and charger included
One of the key features of the Spark is that it comes preloaded with the Personal Safety Services application from MobileTREC. In fact, this is the first smartphone to be sold in the market that comes with this application straight out of the box. This allows users to easily ask for help when their personal safety is at risk.
When the user presses the help button on their smartphone a text and email message is sent to their personal network of friends. The information sent includes the following
- Notification that subscriber has pressed Help
- Subscriber’s location
- A link to join the live conference call between the subscriber and Call Center
- A link to the subscriber’s Safety Profile
This feature also allows for 911 to be contacted and deployed on the scene.
On the hardware side the 5.0-inch display with 720p resolution is actually good. While this device uses a quad core processor what we don’t like is the measly 512MB of RAM which is just too low.
The verykool s505 is being sold at a suggested retail price of $199 unlocked and comes in a single SIM and dual SIM version.