Imagine yourself going out of your house for a dinner date, party, or a vacation but then you suddenly get this feeling that you might have left the TV or curling iron on. Instead of going back to check on your appliances D-Link has created a solution for this scenario by coming up with the DSP-W215 Wi-Fi Smart Plug. All you have to do is plug the device on a wall socket then plug any on it. You will be able to control that appliance from anywhere.
The DSP-W215 Wi-Fi Smart Plug is D-link’s first product in its new line of “Connected Home” devices. This device connects to your Wi-Fi network allowing you to control it using any device using at least Android 4.0 or iOS 6.
According to Daniel Kelley, vice president of marketing at D-Link, “The launch of the Wi-Fi Smart Plug represents a key moment for D-Link as we look to expand our offering of connected home solutions designed for consumers looking for a convenient way to automate their home and control their devices from their smartphones and tablets. The Wi-Fi Smart Plug offers that convenience at an affordable price so customers can automate any range of devices in their home.”
- Connectivity: IEEE 802.11n
- Support Functions: Smart Remote Control, Push Notifications, Energy Use Statistics, Power Scheduling, Overheat Protection
- System Capability: Android 4.0 or later, iOS 6 or later
- Dimensions: 3.54 x 2.40 x 1.40 inches
- Weight: 4.41 ounces
- Power Input: 100 to 125 V AC
- Temperature: Operating( 32 to 104 °F), Storage (4 to 149 °F)
The DSP-W215 Wi-Fi Smart Plug is easy to setup. Just press the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button on the plug as well as the WPS button on your router to create a link. You will also need to download the free Android app on your mobile device to be able to control the plug.
Some of the features that customers will be able to do include
Power On/Off Appliances
- Consumers will be able to turn on or turn off their appliances using their mobile device wherever they are as long as they are connected to the Internet.
- Consumers will be able to set what time their appliances will turn on or off. This is useful when on vacation since lights can be turned on at night and turned off during the day.
- The DSP-W215 has its own thermal sensor that can detect if an appliance is overheating. Once the threshold level is reached it immediately cuts power to the connected appliance.
Monitor Energy Use
- Customers will be able to view on their mobile devices the amount of energy used by a connected appliance. This allows them to know how much energy is used by the air conditioner or heater.
The DSP-W215 Wi-Fi Smart Plug is now available at D-Link’s online store and sells for $49.99 each. If you would like to control multiple appliances then I suggest getting a couple of these devices.