Here’s some bad news for fans of the Sony Xperia Z2 based in the U.S. The flagship smartphone of the company won’t be available until summer and it’s not going to be sold by any U.S. based carrier. Instead, it will be sold directly from the Sony online store unlocked. This means that aside from arriving late it will also be sold premium price since it won’t be getting any carrier subsidy.
While there is a chance that U.S. carriers will be carrying the Xperia Z2 Sony announced that it is still in negotiation with the various carriers and nothing has been finalized yet. What is definite is that it will be sold at the Sony online store.
Another blow to Sony Xperia fans is that the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact won’t be arriving in U.S. shores. Even the official Sony online store won’t be carrying the device.
The reason for the seemingly difficulty of getting the latest Xperia devices in the U.S. is that Sony is not focusing its marketing plans in the U.S. market. The company hasn’t had any success in the U.S. previously which is why it is focusing more in other markets such as Asia and Europe. The Xperia Z2 for example has already launched in several Asian markets since last March and is expected to become available in Canada this May.
Those who can’t wait to get their hands on the Z2 will have to rely on imports or wait for it to become available from Sony. The Xperia Z1 Compact is another story as those who want to own the device will have to rely on imports or the grey market.
Xperia Z2 technical Specifications
- OS: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Network: 2G GSM, 3G HSDPA, 4G LTE
- Display: 5.2 inches IPS LCD Triluminos display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (424 ppi), X-Reality Engine
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8974AB Snapdragon 801
- CPU: Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400
- GPU: Adreno 330
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal Storage: 16GB expandable via microSD up to 128GB
- Rear Camera: 20.7 MP, autofocus, LED flash, videos at 2160p@30fps 1080p@60fps 720p@120fps
- Front Camera: 2.2MP, videos at 1080p@30fps
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3200 mAh
Xperia Z1 Compact Technical Specifications
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support; 3G with 42Mbps HSPA; 150Mbps LTE
- 4.3″ 16M-color 720p capacitive touchscreen Triluminos display (342pixel density); X-Reality engine; shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset
- Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400 CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 2 GB RAM
- 16GB of built-in storage; microSD card slot
- 20.7MP autofocus camera with a 1/2.3″ Exmor RS sensor and F/2.0 Sony G Lens; Info-eye, AR effects, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 2MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- IP58 certification, dust- and waterproof
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
- 2,300mAh Li-Ion battery