Nikon launched its first Android powered camera called the Coolpix S800c way back in 2012. The camera ran on Android 2.3 Gingerbread and had a 3.5-inch touchscreen display which users can use to navigate the menu. While it did not have any telephony features it could connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi and has access to the Google Play store. Back then the device cost $350.
Today, the company has come up with a second Android powered model called the Nikon COOLPIX S810c. This device has several improvements over the first model including the use of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and a 3.7-inch touchscreen display. It also retains its Wi-Fi feature that allows it to access the Google Play store and download apps.
- Effective Pixels: 16.0 million
- Sensor Size: 1/2.3 in.
- Lens: 12x optical Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens
- Lens Focal Length: 4.5-54.0mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 25-300 mm lens in 35mm  format)
- Lens Zoom: 12x
- Digital Zoom: Up to 4x (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 1,200mm lens in 35mm format)
- Monitor Size: 3.7 in. diagonal
- Monitor Type: TFT-LCD (touch panel) with Anti-reflection coating, Touch screen control
- Storage Media: MicroSD card
- Movie: Full HD: 1920x1080p / 30fps, HS 1920×1080/ 15p, HS 1280×720/ 60p, HS 640×480/ 120p, VGA 640×480/ 30p
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 125-1600, ISO 3200 (available when using Auto mode)
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: Up to 3 shots at approx. 8 frames per second
- Battery: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL23
- Approx. Dimensions: 4.5 in. (113 mm) x 2.5 in. (63.5 mm) x 1.1 in. (27.5 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 7.7 oz. (216 g)
The Nikon COOLPIX S810c is basically a high end point and shoot compact digital camera. It allows for photos to be taken easily and quickly while uploading directly to social networks as well as editing of photos can be done from the device itself.
Some of the features of this latest camera include
- Android 4.2.2 with Wi-Fi having a familiar smartphone user interface: The camera is easy to setup. Access to the Internet allows apps from the Google Play store such as Facebook and Twitter to be installed on the device.
- Excellent shooting performance: Its use of a 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens covers the wide-angle 25mm to telephoto 300mm range of angles of view. It also has a Dynamic Fine Zoom feature which enables 24x zoom for a maximum focal length of 600mm.
- Various shooting and retouch functions: The camera has a comment function that allows users to place comments on photos which can be later on edited. The Nikon Image Space app is also pre-installed which provides users a free 20GB of cloud storage space.
- 3.7-inch, approximately 1229k-dot TFT LCD monitor offering sharp and clear reproduction
The Nikon COOLPIX S810c will become available this coming May for $350.