Samsung recently launched its latest flagship model, the Galaxy S5, to various markets around the world. While it is already expected to sell well another surprising data shows that majority of those who switched to the Galaxy S5 were previous iPhone owners.
The data comes from mobile trade-in site CompareMyMobile as it reported a 210 percent increase in the number of customers who traded in their iPhone 4S to get the new Samsung flagship device. Overall, they make up more than a third of the customers who traded in old devices to get the S5. The exact figures have not been revealed however it is interesting to note that Samsung can in fact steal customers away from Apple.
The second highly traded-in device in the website is the Samsung Galaxy S3 that registered a 193 percent increase in trade-ins. Following close behind is the iPhone S which registered a 184 percent increase.
Because of the sudden rise in popularity of the Galaxy devices al of their valuations in the site have increased. The Galaxy S4 for example increased by 256 percent while the Galaxy S3 increased by 288 percent.
Ashley Turner, co-founder of CompareMyMobile, said that “Consumers looking to trade-in their old devices to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S5 are not aware of the predecessor’s depreciation in trade-in value that typically happens following the release. Consumers can complete a trade-in sale and freeze their quoted price for up to 14 days and retain more value.”
The Samsung Galaxy S5 was recently released in 125 markets around the world last April 11. This is the company’s latest flagship smartphone which has several improvements over its predecessor, the Galaxy S4.
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; quad-band 3G with HSPA; LTE
- 5.1-inch 16M-color 1080p Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset
- Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 16 MP ISOCELL camera with phase-detect autofocus, 1/2.6″ 16:9 sensor and LED flash
- 2160p video recording @ 30fps, 1080p @ 60fps, 720p @ 120fps
- 2 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA, Download booster
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- 16GB/32GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot
- IP67 certification for dust and water resistance
- Fingerprint scanner with PayPal payments support and private mode access
- microUSB 3.0 port with USB host and MHL 2.0; Backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0
- Bluetooth v4.0
- IR port for remote control functionality
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Barometer, thermometer, hygroscope
- Heart-rate monitor
- IR gesture sensor for Air gestures
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- 2,800mAh battery