Have you ever been in a situation where you are outside your house and all of a sudden you needed a file stored in your home desktop? Instead of returning home and getting the file you could get it remotely if you have an app like TeamViewer installed in your desktop. Another good option is to use Google’s recently released Chrome Remote Desktop app for Android devices.
If you mainly use the Chrome browser on your desktop then you can further enhance its features by getting the Chrome Remote Desktop from the Chrome Web Store. This allows you to remotely access your desktop using another computer or in this case, an Android device.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for the Chrome Remote Desktop app
- Click on Add to Chrome to install the app
- When a confirmation appears just click on Add
As soon as the app has been added a new tab will appear in the Apps section. If this is the first time that you will be using the app you will have to authorize the permissions that it needs which include
- See your email
- See your Chrome Remote Desktop computers
- Receive and send chat messages
- Perform these actions when you are not in front of the computer
You will also need top setup s PIN of at least 6 digits which will later be used to gain remote access to your desktop.
Once everything has been setup on the desktop side you can proceed to get the free Chrome Remote Desktop over at the Google Play store for your Android device. The app requires a device running on at least Android 4.0 and has a weight of 2.1MB.
Setting up the app on your mobile device is easy and once it is up and running you only need to enter the previously assigned PIN to gain access to your desktop.
In terms of performance, the remote connection went smoothly over a Wi-Fi connection as well as over a mobile data network.
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We offer you two step verification when you access your Google Account, and a Safe Browsing feature in Google Chrome.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
via google play