During the CES 2014 event held last January Asus announced three new devices that would be joining the company’s ZenFone line. These are the ZenFone 4, ZenFone 5, and ZenFone 6, all three sporting Intel Atom processors and expected to launch this month. With the end of April fast approaching it appears that only one model will make it to the market this month as the Asus ZenFone 5 has just launched in China.
There’s really nothing extra-ordinary about the Asus ZenFone 5. It’s basically a solid Android smartphone with decent specs sold at an affordable price. This model is currently selling for 999 Yuan or roughly US$160.
- Processor: Intel Atom Z2580 ( 2.0 GHz )
- Operating System: Android 4.3 ( will update to 4.4 KitKat ) with ASUS ZenUI
- Storage / Memory: eMMC 4GB / Micro SD Card Support / LPDDR2 2GB RAM
- Modem / Bands: GSM / GPRS/EDGE ; WCDMA / HSPA+ DC-HSPA+ ( DL / UL ) : 42 / 5.76 Mbps GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 ; UMTS 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 ;
- WiFi / Bluetooth: Integrated 802.11 b/g/n ; WiFi-Direct Bluetooth V 4.0 ( EDR + A2DP )
- Main Camera: 8 MP f/2.0 PixelMaster Camera
- Front Camera: 2 MP
- Battery: 8 Wh, 2050mAh, non-removable polymer battery
- Dimensions: 148.2 ( L ) x 72.8 ( W ) x 5.5-10.34 ( H ) mm
- Weight: 140g
There is however one difference from the specs revealed at CES 2014 and that which appears at Weibo. The device being sold appears to have its RAM upgraded to 2GB while previously it was announced to only have 1GB. We are still not sure if this is going to be the case for all ZenFone 5 devices or if this is a special edition that has more RAM.
In terms of processing power the Intel Atom Z2580 might not be able to compete against the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor however it does have a hyperthreading feature which maximizes the usage of each CPU core. A benchmark test conducted on both processors using GeekBench shows the Snapdragon 800 getting 919 points while the Atom Z2580 getting only 536 points.
The device uses a 5-inch 720p (1280×720) display which should provide good visuals.
Some of the key strengths of this device as listed by Asus include
- 8 MP PixelMaster camera: up to 400% brighter photos & videos under low light
- Steady shots with image stabilization
- PenTouch & GloveTouch – Input with regular pens or while wearing gloves
There’s still no announcement when this model will become available in other markets. At its price point and with its specs we are sure that a lot of budget conscious consumers will definitely consider getting it.