It looks like Samsung is re-releasing an old model and this time around giving it a fresh modern look. The Samsung Galaxy S3 Slim is a refreshed version of the company’s previous flagship model, the Galaxy S3, which debuted in the market last May 2012. Aside from being much slimmer, this new device has specs that are lower than the original.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Slim runs on Android 4.2 straight out of the box and has a 4.5-inch qHD (960 x 540) display. It measures 133 x 66 x 9.7 mm as opposed to the 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm dimensions of the original S3.
- Operating System: Android 4.2
- Display: 4.5-inch TFT 960 x 540 (qHD), 16M colors
- CPU: quad-core processor clocked at 1.2GHz
- RAM: 1GB
- Internal storage: 8GB, expandable using microSD up to 32GB
- Rear Camera: 5MP, auto-focus, LED flash
- Front Camera: VGA
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Compass, Proximity
- Battery: 2100 mAh, up to 8 hours video playback
Here are the specs of the 2012 Galaxy S3
- Operating System: Android 4.0.4 upgradeable to Android 4.4.2
- Display: 4.8-inch SuperAMOLED 720 x 1280 , 16M colors, Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection
- CPU: Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9
- RAM: 1GB
- Internal storage: 16/32/64 GB storage, expandable using microSD up to 64GB
- Rear Camera: 8MP, auto-focus, LED flash
- Front Camera: 1.9MP
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery: 2100 mAh
Taking a look at both devices we could see that the two year old Galaxy S3 has superior specs compared to the Galaxy S3 Slim. The only advantage of the Galaxy S3 Slim is that it is more compact which should be an attractive feature for consumers looking for a device that can easily slide into a pocket.
Pricing has not been revealed yet however judging from its specs it’s not going to cost that much. What Samsung is doing here is taking advantage of the name recall of the Galaxy S3 and placing it in its new model. Unfortunately though this new slim version only carries the same name as the original device but not its features.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Slim has just been listed at the company’s Brazilian site however no release date is provided.