HP has launched a new tablet in the US market called the HP 8 1401, well sort of new. This budget Android tablet first appeared in the Chinese market last year called the Compaq 8 which has been renamed and gets a price tag of $170.
In terms of specifications there’s really nothing exciting about the device other than the fact that it has a slightly larger 7.85-inch display which is almost the same as the 7.9‑inch iPad Mini display. It even has the same 1024 x 768 resolution.
- Operating system: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Display: 7.85″ diagonal IPS multitouch-enabled (1024 x 768)
- Processor: Allwinner Quad-Core A31s (1 MB cache)
- Memory: 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Internal storage: 16 GB eMMC
- Integrated camera: 0.3 MP fixed focus (front-facing); 2 MP fixed focus (rear-facing)
- Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
- Battery: 3800 mAh Lithium polymer
- Ports: 1 headphone-out 3.5 mm; 1 micro SD expandable (up to 32 GB)
- Expansion Slots: 1 microSD
- Sensors: Accelerometer; Gyro
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 200.3 x 136.3 x 7.95 mm
- Weight: 0.69 lb
The use of a quad core processor combined with 1GB of RAM should be sufficient enough to provide a smooth user experience when running various apps.
The 16GB of internal storage space is ample enough to let consumers install various apps and store their files. If this isn’t enough then it can always be expanded using a microSD.
Consumers who will get this device will find that it comes pre-installed with Kingston Office. This app allows for the accessing, editing, and sharing of files over the cloud. Documents, Spreadsheets, and even presentations can now easily be made or edited from anywhere as long as there is an Internet connection. HP is also providing a free 25GB lifetime cloud storage from Box. This allows anyone to backup content on the cloud which can then be accessed across several platforms.
For those looking for a solid tablet that gets all the basics done then the HP 8 1401 is one of the best choices there is. While its specs are similar to other Chinese models it is also priced accordingly and you can be assured of after sales support during the warranty period. You will get 24 x 7 technical assistance via online chat or phone, parts and labor coverage, and 24 x 7 toll-free technical and limited software support in English, French or Spanish.