One of the top concerns when dealing with mobile devices today is security. People want to be assured that the information stored in their smartphones or tablets are safe and secure. This however has become quite a challenge as newer threats emerge every day. This is the reason GuardianRom was created.
GuardianRom is a secure operating system based on AOSP designed to run on Android devices that comes with several privacy and security features. It prevents hackers, cybercriminals and even the government from stealing the private information stored in your device.
Some of the key features of this ROM include
- Military Grade Encryption (Using AES-256-XTS Encryption)
- Deniable Encryption (Allows you to have two logins)
- Privacy Controls (Choose what information you share with apps)
- Built-in Firewall (Chooses exactly what apps can connect to the internet)
- Tor (Browse the internet anonymously through the Tor network)
- Exploit Mitigation (Using technologies such as PaX & GRSecurity to stop hackers in their tracks)
- Encrypted Phone Calls (Using ZRTP you can place encrypted and secure phone calls to anyone in the world using Guardian Rom. Preventing anyone from listening in to your private calls)
Other features that are expected to be added include
- Hotspots (GeoFenced areas where predetermined actions can be run)
- Panic Button (Wipe or shutdown the phone immediately when used. Perfect for journalists and activists in the field)
- Secure Encrypted Text Messaging (Only you and the person you are talking to can see the messages)
GuardianRom protects users against various real world threats such as viruses, malware, and data theft among others. It is designed to be used by anyone who wants their data to remain private. Typical uses include journalists who may want to protect their communication, doctors who may want to store patient information on their devices, or even executives who may want to keep company secrets in their devices.
What makes this ROM different from other security solutions for the Android platform is that the security is incorporated in the operating system itself. Other popular solutions are simply apps that run on top of the operating system which makes them susceptible from being bypassed.
Right now it can support the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus with support coming for the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Moto G.
GuardianRom is currently a campaign running over at Kickstarter with the target of reaching $35,000. The money will be used to speed up the development of the Rom and to bring it to a wider audience.
If you are interested in the security feature of this ROM then head out over to its Kickstarter page and support the campaign.