Do you want to learn new things while on the go? Maybe you would like to learn how to program in Java or even learn about advanced mathematics. The best resource for this is Coursera and its app has recently been released for the Android platform making mobile learning easier. What’s probably interesting to note is that the education that you gain is free of charge.
Coursera offers courses that are similar to what are being offered in real colleges and universities. Instead of investing a lot of money and time just to finish a course students can now do it for free on their own time with this platform. While it is true that you won’t be getting any diploma or credits such as that from a real school and employers are unlikely to consider your completion of a Coursera course, the knowledge and skill that you gain will become invaluable.
The key features of the Android app include
- Browse over 600 courses in more than 20 subject areas, from mathematics to music to medicine
- Enroll in courses and sign up for upcoming course notifications
- Learn from top instructors representing more than 100 partner institutions, including leading US and global universities
- Stream lectures online any time, or download for offline viewing
- Manage downloaded content with built in download manager
- Take courses in 12 languages including English, Chinese, French, Spanish, and Russian
- Education on your schedule – watch short, modular lectures during your train ride, coffee break, or any other downtime in your day
The app which is still in version 1.0.0 is still very basic and will need several fine tunings however it is already very usable. It has an installation size of 7.5Mb and requires a device running on at least Android 4.0.
If you would like to download this app then I suggest you install it in your tablet or a smartphone with a large screen. You will still be able to install this on any smartphone however one with a small display might not make it suitable for learning.
Coursera was founded in April 2012 by Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller. It is an education platform that partners with the top educational institutions worldwide to offer free courses to anyone.
via google play