AT&T customers with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 today have a special gift – a late but significant update to Android 4.4 KitKat. According to AT&T, the update is already rolling out and a number of customers already have the new OS on their devices. However, the update will be rolled out in phases meaning that not all customers will receive the update at different times. If you haven’t received the update or the update notification, check you update or connection settings or you will just have to sit back and wait for a little longer for the notification.
Do you know how to check for updates manually? Go to Settings and tap on More then scroll down to the bottom where you will find About. Tap on it and go to check for updates. Because it is a major update, it is recommended (by AT&T) that you have at least 50% of your battery juice because the update brings tons of tools and apps including a new user interface, focus and exposure app, the phone dialer and a new gallery.
Expect a number of changes on your device including how the status and notification areas look and new full-screen immersive mode. Once the update is complete, you will have the option to change your default messaging app and other applications. Here are the most notable changes you should expect on update.
- Improve GPS performance and an integrated location menu that enables the user to easily activate GPS and share their location.
- Smarter power use and significant improvements in closed captioning. The update supposedly helps save power better than the Jelly Bean version.
- A new messaging app that brings with it more emojis, stronger security and better handling of text messages.
- Improved access to music and new music play features including full-screen album art and the option of activating controls from the lock screen when listening to music.
- With the new update, you have a better access to the Galaxy Note 3 camera, even directly from the lock screen. By default, you just slide the screen left.
- Wireless printing that debuted with the Galaxy S4 now comes to Note 3. You can find the wireless printing option under Enhanced Settings.
- The update also brings new sound controls. Now, you can adjust sound settings e.g. volume of individual Samsung applications.
Have you updated your device yet? What do you think of this very late update? If you haven’t received an update notification yet, you read more about the device here, you might find something useful or go to AT&T.