Xiaomi is one of the few Chinese companies that sell premium quality Android devices which are Google certified and priced affordably. Take for instance one of its latest models called the Hongmi, this model is quite popular that it sold 100,000 units in China two minutes after its release. In Taiwan, the device sold 10,000 units in less than ten minutes.
It used to be that if you wanted to get your hands on the Xiaomi Hongmi you would have to go to China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan and buy it there. That isn’t the case now as this model is about to enter the international market.
Xiaomi’s Hugo Barra announced that a new brand called the Xiaomi Redmi, which is basically a renamed Hongmi, will soon become available in Singapore. The new name will make it easier for English speaking fans of the device to buy it since the device name Hongmi is usually written in Pinyin.
Since the Redmi is just basically the Hongmi the specs should be just the same.
Xiaomi Redmi Technical Specifications
- OS: Android OS, v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Network: 2G Network GSM / 900 / 1800 / 1900, 3G Network TD-SCDMA 1900 / 2100
- Display: 4.7 inches IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 720 x 1280 pixels, 312 ppi
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- CPU: MTK MT6589T Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A7
- GPU: PowerVR SGX544
- RAM: 1 GB
- Internal storage: 4 GB expandable via microSD, up to 32 GB
- Camera: 8 MP rear [email protected], 1.3 MP front [email protected]
- Battery: Li-Po 2000 mAh
- Dimensions: 137 x 69 x 9,9 mm
- Weight: 158g
The Redmi is being described as a high performance product that’s priced affordably at only $130. For this amount you will already be getting a 4.7 inch IPS display at 720p resolution that’s got Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection. You will also be getting a device that uses a powerful quad core processor with a speed of 1.5GHz and 1GB of RAM.
The upcoming availability in the Singaporean market is just the first step of the company in making its presence felt outside of China. It plans to setup operations in Southeast Asia (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) which has a combined population of around 600 million people.