The Android operating system is a very flexible platform. Aside from being used in smartphones, tablets, and set-top boxes it can also be used in smart home automation systems. This is where Webee comes in; it is being called as the first real smart home learning system that is affordable for everyone.
Webee runs on Android 4.0 and is the first system that learns from you and programs itself accordingly to your preferences. The system allows users to control their homes while also learning about a user’s lifestyle, habits, and schedules. It then makes suggestions to allow for savings, comfort, and efficiency.
Any home electrical device can be controlled by the Webee hub called the “Boss” and an accompanying Android app that is installed in a mobile device. Light switches, TV, stereo, aircon, and sprinklers are just some of the few household devices that can easily be controlled.
Webee Boss Technical Specifications
- SoC: ARM Cortex A9 Microprocessor @ 800MHz
- System Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Storage: 2 GB NAND Flash, micro SD card slot up to 32GB
- Connectivity: 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, IEEE 802.15.4 – ZigBee , Z-Wave
- Wireless Range: Outdoor: 45 to 90 meters, Indoor 45 – 60 meters
- Video Output: DMI 1.3 (up to 1080p)
- USB: 3x USB 2.0 host ports
- Power supply Input: 100-240V AC 50/60 Hz 0.35A, Output: 5V DC 2.0A
- Dimensions: 100mm (W) x 100mm (L) x 17mm (H)
To allow the Boss to communicate with a user’s non-smart appliances several “Bees” have been made which are used to facilitate the connection. These include the following.
- Smart Plug
- Smart Lamp Holder
- Smart Station
- Presence Tag
- Smart Host
- Open/Close sensor
A typical setup starts with the user plugging in the Webee Boss. The myWebee app is then installed on a mobile device. Let’s say you want to control a lamp shade. First plug in the Smart Plug to any vacant power outlet then plug in the lamp shade to the Smart Plug. The lamp shade now becomes a smart lampshade which can be controlled remotely.
Some of the key features of the myWebee app include
- Control your home from anywhere
- Unify and control all your smart objects through one App (Phillips Hue, Nest Thermostat,..)
- Get notifications and alerts of doors opened, alarms, sprinklers, appliances
- Get suggestions based on your own daily actions to improve energy efficiency.
- Set rules and actions to make your life easier (“going to bed”, “vacation”,..).
- Get many energy efficiency tips to save money
Webee is currently seeking funding over at Indiegogo. The aim is to reach a goal of $50,000 and with 7 days left to go in the campaign a total of $51,526 has already been raised. Early adopters can contribute $109 which allows them to get the smart hub (Boss) plus free service forever.