Nothing says “I love you” quite like a heart-shaped diamond locket, fancy romantic candlelight dinner at one of those $100-a-steak restaurants, and midnight walk on the beach followed by you telling her how much she means to you while gently stroking her hair, passionately undressing her and… well, you get the idea.
But it’s frigging 10 degrees outside, so the beach stroll is not an option. I repeat, not an option. Diamonds? Do you have any idea how much those things cost? It’s outrageous. Dinner? Sure, it’s a possibility, as long as you remember to order yourself a salad. The small kind.
Yet why go to all the trouble to end up spending a fortune on a lousy meal when there’s a sweet, thoughtful and fairly cheap way to survive Valentine’s Day and come out looking like a hero? Don’t fight it, your GF loves technology almost as much as you do.
Be smart for once, hasn’t she been dropping all kinds of hints on how she’d like to get rid of her old, raggedy phone or tablet and score a spanking new one to put her girlfriends to shame? Or what about the paid apps and games she can’t really afford? Well, do something, you schmuck!
As for you girls, we’re easy, you know that. But morning sex, breakfast in bed and watching “Star Wars” together doesn’t count as a Valentine’s present. So stay tuned and take note:
Gift ideas – smartphones
I know, I know, not all ladies go nuts about pink, fluffy things or red, swanky stuff. But clichés are clichés for a reason. They check out most of the time. So guys, if your gal is the type to always wear Hello Kitty or Victoria’s Secret lingerie (assuming you got that far), you’re probably safe going for one of the following:
- Pink Samsung Galaxy Note 3 – $660 unlocked via Newegg
- Pink Samsung Galaxy S4 – $545 SIM-free at Amazon
- Purple Mirage Samsung Galaxy S4 – $530 unlocked, $0.01 with Sprint (both new contracts and upgrades)
- Purple Samsung Galaxy S3 – $0.01 with Sprint pacts
- Red Aurora Samsung Galaxy S4 – $49 with AT&T contracts, $560 unlocked
- Bright Red Google Nexus 5 – $349 with 16 GB storage, $399 in 32 GB version through Play Store
- Red HTC One – $0.01 with new Sprint contracts, $49.99 on upgrades, $600 unlocked
- Red HTC One max – $670 unlocked
- Purple Sony Xperia Z1 – $590 contract-free
- Pink Sony Xperia E – $150 unlocked
- Pink Sony Xperia J – $195 SIM-free
- Red Sony Xperia SP – $300
- Customizable Motorola Moto X (color options include everything from lemon lime to violet to raspberry) – $329 in 16 GB version, $379 with 32 GB on-board storage, $50 with Sprint, AT&T and Verizon contracts
Again, we’re easy, everyone knows that. So don’t think outside the box, gals. The box is good, we like it. Bottom line, the above list is perfect for you too, just replace the exotic coats of paint with manly black. Or, in Moto X’s case, with a manly combo of, say, black and white and one of those awesome woody back covers. They’re a measly $25 a pop, so don’t be stingy.
Valentine’s Day gifts – Android tablets
No beating it around the bush this time, just a quick roundup of slates available in conventionally girly color combos. And remember, when in doubt, go black. After all, chances are, if she’s as nuts about all things tech as you are, hardware will count first and foremost. Here we go:
- Asus MemoPad HD 7 in pink – $149 via Amazon or Newegg
- Asus MeMo Pad ME172V in pink – $102.99
- Garnet Red Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 – $199 bundled with garnet red book cover case, and free three-month Netflix and Hulu Plus memberships
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Garnet Red Edition Bundle – $220
- Red Ematic Genesis Prime 7-incher – $65.98 from Best Buy
- Red Ematic EGQ 7 HD – $91.98
- Red Dell Venue 8 – $215 with stylus
Not quite a stellar selection so far, but here’s a wild idea. If you really want to tackle this thing fashionista-style and can’t settle on a gizmo painted in pink or red out the box, get a black or white model and season it with a playfully colored cover or case.
It should have basically the same effect, plus it rids you of the potential headaches caused by your better half not digging the shade you choose. Pretty smart, eh?
Want a couple recommendations? Here you go:
- HDE hard leather folding folio case cover with keyboard for 7-inch tablets in pink, red, purple or orange – $12.95
- NSSTAR folio stand faux leather case cover for 7-inch tabs in pink, red or purple – $4.39
- Newstyle Ultra Slim detachable Bluetooth keyboard leather case cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 in pink – $26.99
- Nexus 7 2013 official travel cover in pink, green or orange – $4.99
- Fuchsia or honey Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 leather case – $39.99
- Purple or pink KaysCase cover case for Asus MeMo Pad 10-incher – $14.95
- Red Wisedeal universal slim fit stand leather case cover for 7-inch tablets – $9.59
- Red Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 standing leather origami case – $69.99
- Garnet red Samsung carrying case for 7-inchers – $35.25
Just like with smartphones, any of the above are safe bets for your boyfriends and husbands, but because I love you ladies so much, I’ll add a few things in the mix. These are some of the hottest, newest deals around, so keep it on the down low, okay?
- Amazon Kindle Fire HDX – $199 with 7-inch display, starting at $339 for 8.9-inch model
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9 – $189 and up
- Dell Venue 8 – $130 via Dell Home with coupon code VLLDC86VT4RR3$
- Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with AT&T 4G LTE – $188.89
Gift ideas – mobile apps, books and miscellaneous
Are you on a really tight budget? Just met this hot geeky chick and don’t want to give the wrong impression by splashing the cash on an expensive gift? Still living off mom and dad’s allowance? Then these Android apps, games and books should take care of business rather neatly and cheaply:
- Love Quotes Pro – $1.99
- Love Compatibility Pro – $1
- Love Live Wallpaper – $1.34
- Love Poems – $1.13
- Romantic Fireplace LWP – $1.69
- Romantic Games for Couples – $0.99
- Great Romantic Poets – $5
- Game for Love: Bad Boys of Football – $6.04
- My Billionaire Boss: The Complete Series – $3.64
- The Five Love Languages Gift Edition: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate – $14.13
That’s a wrap, you love birds, now go have fun, express your feelings, make love, not war, and last but not least, don’t forget to use protection. You know, gloves and stuff, it’s cold outside, remember?