Sprint has announced that it is expanding the number of Android devices that will be able to access its push-to-talk service through the use of the Direct Connect Now app. Direct Connect is a service offered by the carrier that allows a fast one-to-one communication with other push-to-talk devices. What are needed to avail of this service is a push-to-talk phone and a plan that includes Direct Connect.
The new Android devices that are capable of accessing this service with the installation of the Sprint Direct Connect Now application are as follows.
- Samsung Galaxy S 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- LG G2
- LG G Flex
- LG Optimus F3
- Kyocera Hydro Edge
Other devices that will soon be able to gain access are
- Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini
- Samsung Galaxy Mega
- Samsung Galaxy S 4 with Sprint Spark
According to John Tudhope, Sprint director-Product Marketing, “With Sprint Direct Connect Now, consumers and businesses can easily download push-to-talk service to help mobilize their lives, their businesses, and their workforces. Sprint Direct Connect Now is the ideal complement to our portfolio of rugged, military spec Sprint Direct Connect handsets that our longtime push-to-talk customers have grown accustomed to – especially construction workers, manufacturers and emergency workers.”
If you are a Sprint customer who owns any of the mentioned devices above then you can head out over to the Google Play Store to download the Sprint Direct Connect Now app. All you have to do is install it on your device and sign up for the service which is usually included for free on most plans or available for an additional $5 a month for some plans.
To setup your device
- Verify your phone software is up to date. Settings > System Update > Update Software
- Download the Sprint Direct Connect Now app from Google Play.
- Sign in to your account at sprint.com.
- Select “Change my services” from the “Manage this device” drop down menu on the “My account” Tab.
- Select Unlimited Direct Connect and Group Connect under Push-to-Talk add-ons.
Some of the features of the app include
- Sprint Direct Connect on 4G LTE
- 1-to-1 Direct Connect Calls
- Group Connect Calls up to 21 participants – Press and hold contacts from all contacts and favorites list to create on the fly group calls
- TeamDC Closed group calling – Please download “TeamDC client for SDC” app for this functionality
- Send Call Alerts to notify others you want to talk without interrupting
- Synchronizes contacts with your devices address book
- Create favorites for your most contacted Direct Connect contacts