Android smartphones are becoming more advanced with the release of new models. This is usually the case with the high end models which gets all the cool features as well as advanced 4G LTE solutions to provide blazingly fast connection speeds. The entry-level smartphones are usually left with some of the older features as well as 3G or basic LTE connectivity options. This is about to change as the sub $300 smartphone market will soon be getting advanced 4G features as well.
Broadcom announced its plan to introduce the M320 and M340 system-on-chip designs to the market. Both chips were recently unveiled by the company which can deliver 150Mbps Category 4 speeds on FDD-LTE and TD-LTE networks as well as 42Mbps 3G HSPA+ and 2G. The M340 is a quad core chip while the M320 is a dual core chip.
According to Robert Rango, Executive Vice President and General Manager Mobile and Wireless Group, “Broadcom’s turnkey team achieved a design with a very low cost bill of material (RBOM) to enable handset companies to quickly and efficiently take Broadcom’s LTE solutions to market. In addition, this turnkey design is flexible and allows OEMs to build a wide range of LTE handsets.”
The SoCs will be bundled with Android 4.4 KitKat making it easier for phone manufacturers to use. It will also feature WiFi, Bluetooth, location and near field communication (NFC) technologies.
Sravan Kundojjala, Senior Analyst, Handset Component Technologies service at Strategy Analytics, said that “We project that the LTE baseband market will register about 64 percent year-on-year growth in 2014 to reach over 500 million units. Broadcom is one of the only players with a mature carrier-ready multimode LTE SoC, the engineering expertise and the worldwide scale required to deploy complete LTE platforms. The new Broadcom turnkey design will help accelerate the adoption of LTE worldwide and make high-performance, yet affordable devices available to the broader market.”
Additional features of these chips include
- Cat 4 150 Mbps LTE speeds in FDD-LTE and TD-LTE modes and up to 42 Mbps with DC-HSPA+ 3G as well as GSM/EDGE
- BCM2095 LTE RF transceiver enables FDD and TD LTE/3G/2G band support for worldwide roaming
- VoLTE and HD voice support
- HD display, imaging and graphics for an immersive consumer experience
- Pre-integrated with the Android KitKat operating system
- Reduces LTE modem power consumption by up to 30 percent for extended hours of use
- Broadcom’s best-in-class connectivity – 5G WiFi, Bluetooth Smart, NFC and location technologies