Sony wants to tap the market segment of people looking for a compact yet powerful device with its upcoming Xperia Z1 Compact. This device which was initially announced over at the recently held CES 2014 has almost identical specifications as the Xperia Z1 yet sports a handy 4.3 inch display. It’s small, powerful, and will definitely appeal to consumers looking for a device that easily fits into a pocket.
Xperia Z1 Compact Technical Specifications
- Display: 4.3″ Triluminous IPS display of 720p resolution, 341ppi
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- CPU: quad-core Krait 400 at 2.2GHz
- GPU: Adreno 330 GPU
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Storage: 16GB built-in, microSD card slot with support of up to 64GB
- OS: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (planned upgrade to 4.4 KitKat shortly after launch)
- Camera: 20.7 MP, Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash, 2MP front-facing
- Video camera: 1080p @ 30fps video capture with both cameras
- Connectivity: NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, microUSB 2.0 (MHL), BlueTooth 4.0 LE
- Battery: 2,300 mAh
- Misc: FM Radio, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor
- Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm, 137g
- Colors: Black, White, Pink, Lime, Yellow
This device is expected to hit the market in a couple of weeks and as early as now its retail packaging has already been spotted. The packaging is similar to that of other Xperia devices and comes in a flat box. The front of the box shows a slightly angled front view of the device in black color. The back portion of the box shows the device in different colors.
A quick look inside the box reveals its contents which includes the smartphone itself, a charger, a microUSB cable, headset, and some brochure.
The Xperia Z1 Compact itself has a nice build quality and with its various colors should become popular with the younger generation.
Sony is marketing this device as a compact version of the Z1 with almost identical features. It uses the same quad-core processor, same 20.7MP camera, and is even waterproof. The main difference lies in the screen size which is only 4.3 inches at 720p for the Z1 Compact while the Z1 has a 1080p resolution. Despite a drop in battery capacity from 3000mAh to 2300mAh the battery life is still the same owing to the lower power requirements of a smaller display.
This device is expected to hit the market by mid-February with a still to be announced price.