Netgear has announced a new product that turns any TV into a Smart TV simply by plugging a device into the HDMI port of a TV set. This device is called the NeoMediacast HDMI Dongle (NTV300D) that looks like any other HDMI stick yet packs the features of a high end set top box.
Netgear is the first well known brand that has ventured into this line of product which we’ve seen made by several Chinese manufacturers.
Some of the key features of this device include
- HDMI dongle form-factor for small footprint
- 1080p/60 full HD, H.264/MPEG4 video decode
- USB powered
- Micro USB (OTG) for secondary storage
- 802.11ac for high-speed wireless connectivity
- Micro SD slot for playback/storage
- Supports HDMI1.4 and HDCP2.1
- DRM support for Microsoft PlayReady, Google Widevine and Adobe RTMPe
- Android 4.2+ supported; RDK-ready
- Remote control unit: RF4CE or Bluetooth supported
According to the company “As service providers continue to develop and deploy multi-screen video initiatives, the need for a platform that supports the quickest time-to-market for these initiatives is critical. The NETGEAR NTV300D NeoMediacast HDMI Dongle provides just that platform.”
The device primarily acts as a high end set top box in a small form factor. It can easily port existing Android apps and can be customized by the service provider to provide content and other applications.
Consumers will be able to access the Internet via 802.11ac WiFi and will be able to view 1080p/60 full HD videos.
Netgear however announced that the NeoMediacast HDMI Dongle will not be available in the retail market instead it will be sold to service providers such as AT&T, Comcast, etc.
It’s going to be available in the second quarter of this year with the package consisting of a USB Cable, an HDMI Cable, a Remote unit, and an IR blaster cable.
- Physical Interfaces: HDMI1.4, USB 2.0 OTG, USB 2.0, Infrared port, Micro SD
- Security: HDCP 2.1
- Power: 5V, 500m
- LED: System status
- Data Link Layer: HDMI1.4/HDCP2.1
- Network/Internet Layer: IPv4
- Wi-Fi: 802.11ac 1×1 AC450
- Ease-of-use: Miracast-enabled, easy install
- Advanced Features: RF4Ce remote, RDK support in the future