Another device is getting the Google Play Edition treatment and this time around it is the Sony Z Ultra. Sony’s phablet is now available at the Google Play store for $649 with free shipping and leaves the warehouse in 1 to 2 business days. Notice that the Xperia branding has been removed. This could be because the Xperia experience has been replaced with a pure Android experience.
So what’s the advantage of getting this version compared to the regular one? Basically since it is now a Google device, consumers will get timely Android updates as they come out (no more waiting from the carriers or the manufacturers). This device is also sold unlocked and contract free which means it can be used with any GSM network around the world. In the United States this device is compatible with the AT&T and T-Mobile network.
The Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition is a massive device having a 6.44-inch Triluminos LCD display with full-HD (1080p) resolution. It also sports some powerful hardware specs such as 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor that is backed by 2 GB of RAM. Consumers looking for a multimedia mobile device will want to consider checking this out.
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support; 3G with 42Mbps HSPA; 150Mbps LTE
- 6.4″ 16M-color 1080p capacitive touchscreen Triluminos display (344ppi pixel density); X-Reality engine
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400 CPU, 2 GB RAM, Adreno 330 GPU; Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset
- 8 MP autofocus camera
- 1080p video recording @ 30fps, continuous autofocus and stereo sound
- 2 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- IP 58 certification – dust resistant and water resistant
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA; Wireless TV out
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- 16GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot
- MHL-enabled microUSB port
- Bluetooth v4.0
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- 3050 mAh battery
If you are planning to get the Sony Xperia Z Ultra then you might want to consider getting the Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition since it actually costs cheaper. The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is selling for $679.99 at the Sony store which is unlocked and uses Android 4.2 with the Xperia user interface. The one selling at the Google Play store is also unlocked and ditches the Xperia experience for a pure Android 4.4 KitKat interface.
via google play