Smartwatches are becoming popular lately as most of the major brands have released their own versions of this device. Some of the popular models include the Samsung Galaxy Gear and the Sony SmartWatch 2. We’ve also got crowdfunded models such as the Pebble.
Another model called the Rock is making its presence felt over at Kickstarter and hopes to reach a goal of $50,000 goal for it to start mass production. This model is designed to take a beating. It comes in two versions, one made of a stainless steel face and the other made of tough plastic.
Aside from its tough nature it’s also designed to be very functional. It can provide users with up to nine notifications on its screen making sure that you won’t miss any important updates. There’s also a Portal App that allows for easy installation of apps on the device. All you have to do is drag the desired apps on the depository app on your smartphone and it will be immediately transmitted to the smartwatch.
The Rock uses the Qi wireless charging standard so you won’t need any cables to charge your device. A wireless docking stand is included which you can carry anywhere you go.
One feature that a lot of people will find useful is its Rock Leash Tracker App. When used in combination with the attachable tracking sensor consumers will never lose important things again.
Some of the key features of the Rock include
- Patented “Drag and Drop” smartphone to smartwatch app transfer portal
- Integrated Qi battery
- Wireless charging
- Integrated tracking device
- Patented wireless docking station
- Complete metal smartwatch
- Dual Core CPU
- Display- 1.54”
- 240 x 240 Resolution
- LG display
- Android 4.2.2 (Rock Qi units)
- Android 4.0 (Rock standard Units)
- Multi-touch Touch Screen
- Accelerometer Chip by Analog Devices – Combo 3-axis G sensor
- Bluetooth – 4.0 LE
- Vibration motor
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
- Memory: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 4 GB
- Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) supports 2D/3D
- Battery Rock Qi- 100 hrs to 150 hrs standby time
- Full set of pre-qualified Android applications
- G-sensor (Accelerometer), E-Compass, Gyroscope, IP67
- Over-the-Air (OTA) system firmware update
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Here’s a comparison between the Rock and other smartwatches
As of this writing, $37,413 has already been pledged by 310 backers with 47 days left before the campaign period ends. A pledge of $119 will get you the Metal version of the Rock saving you $221 from its retail price of $340. The estimated shipping date is March 2014.