A new kind of smart glasses may be coming to the market very soon as a crowdfunded project over at Indiegogo has already reached its goal. Pivothead SMART shares a couple of similarities with Google Glass, but it has some distinct features of its own. One notable feature is its modular capability that lets users bring new functionality to the device.
Pivothead SMART launched its campaign at Indiegogo last month and has since then surpassed its goal of raising $100,000 with 32 days still left. As of this writing $110,002 has already been raised and this amount could still rise.
If you are willing to support this project the minimum amount that you can pledge that will net you an early adopter Pivothead SMART glasses is $229. Only 100 backers will be able to avail of this with 21 slots already taken.
What sets this device apart from other similar devices is its modular approach. While you won’t be able to add any hardware support to Google Glass this can easily be done with the Pivothead SMART glasses through its Mods which are attached at the ends of the glass.
Here are just some of the Mods available for consumers to choose from.
- 1000 mAh Battery Pack: triples battery life, hot-swappable
- LED Charge Indicator: remaining charge status
- Micro USB Charging Port: convenient to charge from any device
- Charge Anything: use to charge your glasses or even other mobile devices
Live Mod: Provides users with the ability to share what they are seeing instantly
- LIVE Stream: Full HD RTSP / NTSC / PAL live stream to web, mobile apps & more with SDK
- Stream To: Pivothead LIVE web, mobile, or desktop apps : SDK
- Stream On: stream for hours or days with Fuel Mods
- Indicator LEDs: power level : charging progress
Air Mod: Runs Google’s Android OS to allow developers to create apps for the device
- Android OS: deploy an Android app directly on the Air Mod
- Processor: Dual Core ARM Cortex A7 1.3Ghz
- Bluetooth 4.0
- LIVE Stream
- Sensors: 9 axis gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer : GPS : NFC
- Micro SD Card Slot: SDHC (up to 32 GB) : hot-swappable
- Audio: stereo audio in/out jack
- Indicator LEDs
- Microphone: 3.5mm audio in for external microphones
Pivothead Smart Technical Specifications
- Processor: 2x ARM Cortex A7 (w/ Mod)
- RAM: 4GB
- Native Memory: 16GB (15.5 usable)
- Expandable Memory: Up to 32GB with Micro SD (with Mods)
- connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 L, WiFi (with Mods), Micro USB / OTG, Live Stream, Audio out, Voice input,
- Camera: Sony 8MP CMOS (3264 x 2448 pixels)
- Maximum Video Resolution: 1080p @ 30fps
- Water Resistant