Earlier this year Parrot released the AR.Drone 2.0 which is essentially a quadricopter that can be controlled using a smartphone. The company just announced a refresh to this popular model which is called the AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition. It’s basically the same as the original with the difference in shading design that comes in sand, snow, and jungle camouflage.
Parrot describes this new model as follows
- “Sand: A shading of brown, beige and black. Blend into the sand dunes and fly low to surprise gaming partners
- Snow: A mix of white, grey and black. Speed down snow-covered paths and spring up in winter conditions for maximum impact;
- Jungle: The classic, with shades of khaki and brown. For the modern explorer in the urban jungle”
Aside from the noticeable color change the company has also made changes in the propeller. Each of the three versions will have sets of propellers in two different colors. The sand model will have a beige and black propeller, the snow model will have a white and black propeller, while the jungle model will have a khaki and black propeller.
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Technical Specifications
- VIDEO: HD Camera: 720p 30fps; Wide angle lens: 92 degree diagonal; H264 encoding base profile; Low latency streaming; Video storage on the fly with remote device or with USB 2.0 key; JPEG photo capture (720p).
- MECHANICAL DESIGN: 3 cell 1000 mAh LiPo rechargeable battery; High pitch propeller for great manoeuvrability; 4 brushless inrunner motors with micro ball bearing and rare earth magnets, 14.5 watt & 28,500 rpm when hovering; Self-lubricating bronze bearings, tempered steel prop shafts; Low noise Nylatron gears for 8.625 propeller shafts; Emergency stop controlled by software; Fully reprogrammable motor controller; Water resistant electronic motor controller; Foam to isolate the inertial centre from the engine’s vibrations; EPP hull; Carbon fibre tubes, 380g with outdoor hull, 420g with indoor hull; High grade 30% fibre charged nylon plastic parts; Liquid Repellent Nano-Coating on ultrasound sensors; Fully repairable: all parts and instructions for repairing are available on Parrot website.
- ELECTRONICS & SENSORS: 16Hz 32 bit ARM Cortex A8 processor with 800MHz video DSP TMS320DMC64x; 16bit DDR2 RAM at 200MHz; 8 MIPS AVR CPU per motor controller; Wi-Fi b/g/n; 3 axis accelerometer +/- 50mg precision; 3 axis gyroscope 2000 degree/second precision; Pressure sensor +/- 10 Pa precision (80cm / 2.6 feet at sea level); 60 fps vertical QVGA camera for ground speed.
The Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition will become available later this month at Verizon, Brookstone and Amazon for $299.