If you own an Android device that’s not officially getting the Android 4.4 KitKat update from its manufacturer then you could get it through other means. One best way is to install a new custom ROM that’s already using Android 4.4. One such Rom is OmniROM that has just released a KitKat nightly build for no less than 15 Android devices.
The smartphones and tablets getting this update are as follows.
- Galaxy S II (i9100G)
- Galaxy S II AT&T (SGH-i777)
- Galaxy S III (i9300)
- Galaxy S III LTE (i9305)
- Galaxy Note (N7000)
- Galaxy Note II (N7100)
- Galaxy Note II LTE (t0lte)
- Galaxy Note II LTE AT&T (t0lteatt)
- Galaxy Note II LTE T-Mobile (t0ltetmo)
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 5
- Nexus 7 2012 3G
- Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi
- Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi
- Oppo Find 5
OmniROM is one of the popular custom ROMs available in the market today and counts Chainfire, Dees_Troy, and Xplodwild as part of its development team. The ROM aims to bring an enhanced user experience with several new features not found in the stock build of a device.
Here are the new features of the update
Non-intrusive incoming call notifications
- Instead of a call occupying the whole screen it now appears as a popup that slides from the bottom of the screen. Users can simply click on reject or accept the call.
- Center frequency for bass boost can now be adjusted.
- New stereo-widening effect
- Users are now able to control each app through Settings > Apps permissions.
Installing OmniROM on your device is just like installing any other custom ROM. Make sure that you download the exact ROM for your particular device at the website. Make sure to make a backup of your data as well.
General procedures in getting OmniROM Android 4.4 KitKat to your Samsung device
- Download Android 4.4 OmniROM ROM to your PC
- Plug your device to your PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded Android 4.4 ROM and paste it to your phone′s SD card. Be sure not in any folder, but in SD card root.
- Shut down your device then unplug it from USB cable.
- Enter the Recovery Mode. Turn your device ON, then continue with pressing and holding these buttons together: Volume UP + Home + Power.
- Do the full data wipe first in ClockWorkMod recovery, then find this: “flash zip from SD card” then use your Power button to select it.
- Power button by pressing it to choose “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Use the volume keys to go to the Android 4.4 ROM zip you pasted to SD card, then choose it using the Power button. Then on the next screen confirm the installation for it to begin.
- Once the installation is completed, head to “+++++Go Back”. Then reboot your device, by choosing the “reboot system now” on the recovery.