Huawei released the Ascend P6 last June which is a 4.7 inch Android smartphone that sports a 1.5 GHz quad core processor. This device is one of the slimmest to be released in the market that offers well balanced features in a thin 6.2 mm profile. It is even slimmer than the Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
Huawei president Xu Xin Quan recently announced a successor to this model which will be called the Ascend P6S. This upcoming device will be using a true octa core processor, meaning all cores can be used at once. This is definitely an upgrade to the K3V2 quad core processor that the Ascend P6 is using. It is also going to be optimized to have a longer battery life.
Unlike other Chinese smartphone manufacturers that are using MediaTek’s latest quad core processor, Huawei will be using an updated version of their own K3V2 chipset which will make use of quad core computing.
Aside from the processor of the Ascend P6S no other details have been revealed as of the moment. Pricing as well as date of availability is still not known however consumers who are fans of the Ascend P6 will definitely be pleased to know that an upgraded model is already being planned.
In other related news Huawei also recently announced that the Ascend P6 will not get the Android 4.3 update instead it will skip directly to Android 4.4 Kit Kat. This device was originally released running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The Kit Kat update is expected to hit the Chinese market by January of next year with an international release soon to follow. Owners of this model might have to wait a few more months to get the update but it’s definitely worth it knowing that they will be already getting Kit Kat.
Here are some of the key features of the Ascend P6 which might be improved in the upcoming Ascend P6S model.
- Ultra-slim 6.2mm profile
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; penta-band 3G with HSPA
- 4.7″ 16M-color 720p IPS+ LCD capacitive touchscreen with Gorilla Glass, usable with gloves
- Android OS v4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Emotion UI
- Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9, 16-core GPU; 2GB of RAM; Huawei K3V2 chipset
- 8 MP autofocus camera with LED flash, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 5 MP front-facing camera, 720p video recording
- Dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS
- 8GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot, side-mounted, hot-swap
- microUSB port with USB host, USB OTG
- Bluetooth v3.0
- FM radio
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic