When NVIDIA released the SHIELD portable Android gaming console last July it also came with the ability to stream PC games from a GeForce GTX PC to it. This was however still in its beta stages. In a press event held this morning in Montreal, company CEO Jen-Hsun Huang announced GameStream. The technology will pair the company’s GPUs with streaming gaming via its Shield handheld game console.
NVIDIA GameStream will launch this coming October 28 and is described as “combining the high performance of GeForce GTX graphics cards with advanced Wi-Fi technologies to deliver super-smooth, low-latency gaming on the go.” What the technology does is it places the power of the GeForce GTX in the palm of your hands.
There are more than 50 games that will be supported by this feature with more coming soon. Upcoming releases such as “Batman: Arkham Origins” and “Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag” will be supported. Right now local PC streaming is available but in the future there will be support for NVIDIA GRID cloud gaming services.
The key features of GameStream are
- Super smooth and fast performance at 60 frames per second.
- Enhanced Wi-Fi quality of service in combination with GameStream Ready routers from leading network partners ASUS, Buffalo, D-Link, and NETGEAR.
- Improved onscreen navigation and controls
The company also announced a new capability of the device called the “SHIELD Console Mode”. This basically transforms the device into a full-fledged console. This is done by attaching SHIELD to your HDTV using an HDMI connection then pairing it with a Nyko PlayPad Pro Bluetooth controller. You will then be able to enjoy playing games on a bigger screen.
NVIDIA Shield Specifications
- Processor: NVIDIA Tegra 4 Quad Core Mobile Processor
- RAM: 2 GB
- Display: 5 inch 1280×720 (294 ppi) Multi-Touch Retinal Quality Display
- Audio: Integrated Stereo Speakers with Built-in Microphone
- Storage: 16GB
- Wireless: 802.11n 2×2 Mimo Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, GPS
- Connectivity: Mini-HDMI output, Micro-USB 2.0, MicroSD storage slot, 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with microphone support
- Sensors: 3 Axis Gyro, 3 Axis Accelerometer
- Controls: Dual analog joysticks, D-pad, Left/right analog triggers, Left/right bumpers, A/B/X/Y buttons, Volume control, Android Home and Back buttons, Start button, NVIDIA power/multi-function button
- OS: Android Jelly Bean