The long wait is finally over as BlackBerry has finally made available BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) for the Android and iOS platform. The app is now live over at the Google Play Store. BBM was originally slated for release last month however but this was postponed as an early version of the app publicly leaked out ahead of its release.
To ensure that everyone gets a smooth BBM experience the company is implementing a line-up system. Andrew Bocking, head of BlackBerry’s BBM business, said that “to help manage this unprecedented pent-up demand for BBM, we are implementing a simple line-up system to ensure a smooth rollout.” Those interested in downloading the app will have to go to BBM.com on a phone browser and enter basic information. An email will be sent to you if it’s your turn to download the app. Those who have already registered at BBM.com should already be able to use the app.
Some of the key features of BBM for Android include
Chat with friends on Android, BlackBerry and iPhone
- BBM is always on and always connected
- Know when messages have been delivered
- Share photos, files, documents, voice notes and more
- See when contacts are responding to your message
- Emoticons for every mood and emotion let you express yourself
Control your privacy
- Choose how you share information
- Choose your contacts
Chat and Share with many at once
- Groups allow you to share pictures, lists, and appointments with group members.
- Multi-person chats allows you to invite multiple contacts to have a chat together
- Broadcast messages allows you to send a message to multiple contacts at a time
Create BBM profile
- Post a profile picture using images, pictures or GIFs
- Update your status
BBM for Android is currently at version 18.104.22.168 and has a file size of 13MB. It requires a device running on Android 4.0 and above.
BlackBerry reported that more than 6 million iOS and Android users signed up for information on BBM for their respective devices. This goes to prove that despite the existence of other messaging apps there are still a lot of people interested in BBM. Getting them to stay and use the app is another story though.
via google play