A lot of companies are unveiling their upcoming devices right now over at IFA 2013 in Berlin. Sony is one such company taking part in the event and has officially unveiled their second generation smartwatch device called the SmartWatch 2. This wearable device is said to be the very first NFC watch that’s also resistant to water.
The SmartWatch 2 was first announced by Sony last June and is now ready to hit the market. It is designed to primarily act as a second screen to any Android smartphone. It has a notification center that allows a user to check on messages, phone calls or updates without taking the smartphone out of the pocket or bag. There are also dedicated apps such as Facebook and Twitter to easily manage social networks.
Some of the functions of the SmartWatch 2 include
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
This new device offers several new features not found in the first model. For starters it is now waterproof. It also has NFC connectivity which makes it easier to pair with any Android device. It has better visibility under sunlight with its improved display (1.6 inch, 220 x 176 pixels).
SmartWatch 2 Features
- Screen brightness (sunlight readable)
- Longest battery life for a smartwatch* (battery level indicator shows low
- battery warning)
- Water-resistant (IP57)
- Easy setup (NFC pairing and connecting)
- Standalone watch functionality
- Standard micro USB cable for charging
- User interface similar to Android UI so it is more intuitive
- Bigger screen with higher resolution (1.6 inch, 220 x 176 pixels)
- High quality materials (aluminium body and stainless steel wristband)
- Extended compatibility (works with most Android phones)
- Swappable wristbands – personalise with any standard 24mm strap.
This device will go on sale later this month with a price that is yet to be announced.