If the remote control function does not work on your HTC One smartphone, this troubleshooting guide may be able to help resolve the problem. The way I see it, there are three possible causes why this built-in function just won’t work normally and they are as follow:
- There could be a conflict with a third-party application.
- The infrared (IR) transmission could have been blocked or there’s no transmission at all.
- There could be a misconfiguration on IR settings on the phone.
We’ve received several emails regarding this problem so it is just right to write a troubleshooting guide for this issue. But before that, here is one of the emails from our readers:
I know that my HTC One can be used to remotely control my TV (it is a smart TV). I did what I had to do to make the function work but it seems it’s not doing what it has to do. I don’t know what the problem is or how to solve it.
Can you walk me through solving this issue?
Step 1: There is a possibility that a third-party application is interfering with the normal functionality of the phone. Therefore, to eliminate this possibility, the first thing you have to do is reboot your HTC One.
- Press and hold the power button.
- Choose Restart when Phone options window pops up.
Step 2: Now, if you have a camera, another phone or a laptop computer, try to point the remote control of your TV to the lens of any of these devices just to verify it can see the IR flashing. If it can, go to the next step to continue troubleshooting.
Step 3: HTC One’s IR LED is located at power button. Check to see if it’s working or transmitting by pointing it to the lens of the device you tested in step 2.
- Go to TV app.
- Tap the “Remote control” icon.
- Press any buttons under “Remote control panel”.
- Check if you could see IR flashing at power button on the preview screen of a different device’s camera.
Step 4: To learn the IR comments from your original remote controller, please go to:
- TV app
- Tap “Remote control” icon
- Tap the 3 dots icon
- Select Button setup
- Choose Remote, Power or Input buttons you need to re-configure
- Press NEXT
- Follow the steps & instructions on your phone.
Email Us Your Problems / Questions
We are open to your questions, problems and suggestions. Email us at email@example.com if you have any. Please include as much detail as possible so that we could find solutions that really work. A screenshot or two would definitely help so if you can manage to get some and attach them to you email that would be awesome.
But please know that we may not be able to respond to every email we receive. Be assured, though, that we read every single bit of them even if others appear to be spams.