There have been several Android devices released lately that have features geared mostly toward gaming. Right now we have the Nvidia Shield and OUYA just to name a few with Gamestick and Gamepop expected to arrive in the market soon. French company BigBen is also interested in the Android gaming segment and has come up with the GameTab-One.
The GameTab-One is actually a 7-inch Android tablet that comes with a detachable game controller. The controller has D-pads as well as other buttons to help in controlling the games. Instead of using the touchscreen feature of the display players will be using a physical controller which allows for a full view of the screen.
This device is similar to the Wikipad in a sense that both of them feature detachable controllers. That’s where their similarities end as they differ very much in the internal hardware components used.
GameTab-One Technical Specifications
- Quad Core Processor 28nm A9 RK3188 1.8 GHz compatible with 3D games
- 7 inch TFT screen 1024 × 600 capacitive 5 points
- 2 cameras
- Wi-Fi b / g / n
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 3-axis tilt sensor
- Battery 4000 mAh, rechargeable with AC 5V 2A adapter (supplied)
- 1080p video output via an HDMI mini connector, can play full screen on a TV
- (Cable supplied)
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Micro USB port for charging, data transfer and connect the controller
- Micro SD port, compatible with 64 GB cards
- RAM DDR3 2GB
- Internal flash memory of 16 GB
- Android 4.2
- Compatible with all audio, video and standard images (MP3, WMA, MPEG4, ASP, JPG, BMP)
GameTab-One works with almost all Android games that are usually played by using the touchscreen. The tablet’s “Full Mapping” software allows the player to configure the controls of a touch based game for use with a physical controller. The buttons available for use are the D-pad, two joysticks, two triggers, and eight action buttons.
BigBen announced that it will be officially announcing this device at IFA Berlin. As far as pricing goes there’s still no information on it yet. There’s also no information if this device will be available outside of France.