AT&T has just announced that it will be offering the Pebble smartwatch to its customers at $150 starting this September 27 at att.com. This smartwatch has had a successful campaign over at Kickstarter and is able to pair with an iOS or Android smartphone to view messages, control music playback, see weather or calendar alerts, and more.
According to Michael Cowan, Director, Accessory Portfolio, AT&T Mobility “As the exclusive carrier for the hot new Pebble smartwatch, this innovative device adds to AT&T’s extensive lineup of industry leading accessories for today’s connected world. This smartwatch is fun, practical, and easy to use. It is simple to see why people have been clamoring to get their hands on it.”
Those who wish to get this wearable device don’t need to buy a smartphone from the carrier as it can be bought alone. Its price isn’t exactly cheap however it does cost half the price of the Samsung Galaxy Gear.
Pebble Smartwatch Technical Specifications
- Dimensions: 50.3 x 32 x 8.4 (mm)
- Screen: 1.26-inch LCD
- Resolution: 144 × 168 pixels
- OS: Pebble OS
- Storage: 2 MB
- Colors: 5
- Processor: ARM Cortex-M3 processor
- RAM: 96 kb
- Connectivity: iOS 5+, Android 2.3+
- Bluetooth: 2.1+ EDR, 4.0 BLE
- Battery: 7 days (140mAh)
- Charger: Modified USB
The Pebble has one of the longest lasting batteries of any smartwatch which is rated at 7 days. One of the reasons behind this is its use of an e-paper paper display that consumes a little power. The display isn’t touchscreen and everything has to be controlled by four buttons.
The device controls to any smartphone using Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR although it also supports Bluetooth 4.0 LE. Before it can be used you will have to download either the Pebble iOS or Android app for your device. Right out of the box you will be able to use several features such as Incoming caller ID, SMS/iMessage, Email (IMAP or Gmail), and Music Controls.
There are numerous apps available right now for the iOS and Android platform that work with the Pebble. There are gaming apps, apps that allow you to take photos, apps that update your social networks, and more.
The key features of the Pebble include
- Press a button to change the watchface to fit your personal style. Download new watchfaces and applications, or design your own through existing third party sites.
- Great line-up of pre-loaded and downloadable apps perfect for runners, cyclists, golfers or those who are just busy.
- Music is only a click away. Play, pause, or skip tracks on your phone with simple controls on Pebble. Glance down at your watch to see the artist and the track name that is playing without missing a beat.
- Custom notifications keep you informed without being a distraction. Incoming caller ID, calendar alerts, social media messages, weather alerts and more.
- Rechargeable battery can last up to seven days.
- Water resistant rated 5ATM.