Smartwatches that can link with smartphones are expected to become available next year from some of the popular manufacturers such as Google, Apple, and Sony. Casio on the other hand has enhanced some of their G-Shock watches to come with smart features that use Bluetooth technology to connect to smartphones. The company recently announced the release of the GB-6900B-1 and the GB-X6900B-1, both of which can be paired with a smartphone.
Both models can be paired with an iPhone 5/iPhone 4S or a Samsung Galaxy S4 (as of August 8). With the aid of Bluetooth, users will be able to control the music player on their phone as well as adjust the date and time settings of the watch from the smartphone. Other apps can also be controlled by the watches.
These watches use a low power Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology combined with a second generation engine that allows two way communications between the watch and the smartphone.
The GB-6900B is similar in design to the classic G-Shock DW-6900 while the GB-X6900B has a similar design with the DW-6900 but with a bigger watchcase.
- Water resistance up to 200 meters
- Bluetooth v4.0
- World Time: 100 cities (35 time zones, daylight saving on/off) and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
- Alarm: 5 daily alarms or one-time alarms (with 1 snooze alarm), hourly time signal
- Countdown Timer: Setting accuracy: 1 second; 100-hour maximum per set; unit of measure: 1/10-second
- Mobile link; vibe alert; tap function; full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; low battery warning; power-saving function
- Battery Life: Approx. 2 years on CR2032
Casio’s G-Shock watches are best known for their toughness and are often the watch of choice for those who live an active lifestyle.