Early last month Sony announced a new device at the Mobile Asia Expo held in Shanghai called the Sony Xperia Z Ultra. This is an oversized smartphone coming in with a display of 6.4 inches which already can be considered to be a phablet. A release date for this device on September 12 has been confirmed by Unlocked Mobiles which prices it at £599.98 including VAT.
Sony dubs the Xperia Z Ultra as “the world’s largest Full HD smartphone display” and “the world’s slimmest Full HD smartphone“. Both claims are in fact true since the device uses a 6.4 inch Full HD display that makes use of the company’s unique TRILUMINOS technology. It’s also very slim and lightweight coming in at 212 grams and having a 6.5 mm body.
Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications said in a press release that “The Xperia Z Ultra is the most exciting revolution in large-screen smartphone entertainment devices with both the slimmest and largest Full HD smartphone display in the world that is second to none. We’re already bringing the best of Sony technology and design across a range of premium smartphones and tablets, and now we are bringing this same premium offering to the large-screen smartphone segment, setting a new standard for others to follow.”
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Technical Specifications
- Colors: Black, white, purple
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.2GHz quad-core CPU
- RAM: 2GB
- Dimensions: 179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5 mm
- Weight: 212 grams
- OS: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Cameras: 8MP rear, 2MP front
- Display: 6.44-inch 1920×1080 TRILUMINOS display for mobile, touch panel cover glass with Super Hard Coat ASF
- Storage: 16 GB (up to 11 GB user-accessible memory), microSD expandability up to 64GB SDXC
- Networks: UMTS HSPA+ 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz, 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 1700 (Band IV), GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, 4G LTE
- Battery: 3,000mAh embedded
- Waterproofing and dust resistance: IP55/IP58-rated
The specs of the device make it compete with the other high-end flagship smartphones in the market today. Its use of a Quadcore Snapdragon 800 processor combined with 2 GB of RAM makes it able to flawlessly handle any application thrown at it.
What’s probably one of its best features is that it is IP 55 and IP58 certified. This makes it a tough device since it can withstand water splashes as well as dust. This makes it versatile since it can be used anywhere in any weather condition.
via unlocked mobiles