Those who are into installing custom ROMs on their Android devices should be pleased to know that the Android Open Kang Project, or AOKP, has released AOKP Jelly Bean Milestone 2 which brings several new features. A blog post by the developers says that “We are happy to announce our Milestone 2 build at long last, compiling and uploading right now. We say ‘FINALLY’ because that’s exactly how we feel about it, too. With vacations, setbacks, summer, and maybe a hint of procrastination, it took us a bit longer than we’d planned. We hope you enjoy the new build, and are looking forward to 4.3 as much as we are!”
One significant new change that’s noticeable is the addition of Ribbons. This is a quick launcher that’s similar to SwypePad and allows a user to swipe anywhere on the screen in any direction to bring up a list of apps or function shortcuts. This has to be configured properly first to suit your preferences.
Other new features include
- Permission management
- Dark AOKP
- Persistence support – keep DPI/hosts settings between wipes
- Quick Torch on Lockscreen
- HDR mode in AOSP Camera
- Few new Toggles – StayAwake, Custom, Sleep, Reboot, etc.
- Superuser from Koush
New compatible devices are also added from the last list which can now use Milestone 2.
- HTC One devices: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Intl.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 devices: Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 devices: AT&T, T-Mobile, Intl.
- Sony Xperia devices: T, V, Z, ZL, Tablet Z (2 versions)
To install this latest AOKP ROM you will need to check if your device is in the compatibility list. You should have knowledge in installing ROMs.
The general steps are as follows
- Your device must be rooted
- Backup ALL of your phone data since everything will be wiped out.
- You MUST unlock your bootloader. Remember that this will void your warranty.
- Install Clockworkmod Recovery
- Download the latest AOKP ROM
- Download the gapps (google apps, these are never included in custom roms)
- Copy both downloaded zip files to your phone sd card (Don’t extract)
- Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery
- Perform a backup of your phones current state. Do this by choosing backup/ restore and select backup on the next page.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard.
- Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it
- After ROM finishes installing go back to install gapps zip file
- After installation finishes select reboot system now to reboot the phone into your custom rom