When the Sony Xperia ZL was launched this March it was running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean but Sony promised an update that would soon arrive. The company has made good on that promise today as the Android 4.2.2 update is now rolling out for the European LTE (C6503), HSPA+ (C6502), and North American (C6506) versions of the device.
The update brings in several new changes to the device which are listed below.
- Latest version of Sony Media Apps with seamless integrated services
- My Xperia application that helps you find your phone and secure everything you have on it. Read more at myxperia.sonymobile.com
- New Customizable navigation bar with quick settings
- New widget functionalities, both on lockscreen and homescreen
- Support for bigger (64GB) SD card so that you can store even more on your Xperia
The update is available OTA and is somewhat special since this is the first device that will be getting the Android 4.2.2 via OTA. Other Android 4.2.2 devices in the market today already ship out running on the build.
If you’re still not getting any notification of an update and you can’t wait to try it out you can do a manual update. You will need to install the FTF firmware file using Flashtool which you can get here.
Sony Xperia ZL Technical Specifications
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support; 3G with HSPA; LTE
- 5.0 inch TFT capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 441 ppi
- Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
- Adreno 320
- 2 GB RAM
- 16 GB internal storage
- microSD support up to 64 GB
- 13 MP rear camera
- 2 MP front camera
- 1080p video recording @ 30fps with HDR mode, continuous autofocus and stereo sound
- Li-Ion 2370 mAh battery