If you’re still carrying a Samsung Galaxy S3 with you and want to be on the latest official firmware, the wait is almost over. Thanks to the folks over at SamMobile, they have grabbed their hands on an exclusive copy of the official 4.2.2 software for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Please note that this is only for the international version, or as SamMobile notes, the “Open Europe” model.
There are quite a few changes, such as:
– New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– New Additions in Notification Center
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the S4)
– Addition of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from S4)
– New smart switch widget
I like how Samsung is trying to bring every feature possible from the S4 onto the S3, but at the same time I wish they would fix some of them. For instance, the Settings menu is darn awful-that tabbed menu takes us back to our Gingerbread days.
SamMobile does mention that they are expecting Samsung to release the official 4.2.2 software sometime between July and August.
If you’re looking to dive into the firmware, hit up the source link below. Be aware, however, that we aren’t responsible for what happens to your phone, as SamMobile does explicitly note that this is a pre-release build. Proceed with caution.