Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 carried by T-Mobile running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (with model number SGH-M919) is easy. This has been made possible with the use of a flashing tool called Odin. The rooting process will require the user to download two files: first being the Odin and second, the CF Auto Root.
The rooting process is safe and has been tested so many times, however, we cannot guarantee it would work 100% percent every time. But read on as we will walk you through every step of the process.
Save these files to a directory in your computer that you can easily find or access. Once downloaded, extract each files contents.
Step-by-Step Rooting Guide
- Launch Odin in your computer.
- Turn the Galaxy S4 off to prepare it for the process.
- Boot the phone into the Download Mode. Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons then hold the Power button until the device’s screen turns on. Press the Volume Up button to enter the Download Mode.
- Using the original USB data cable, connect the phone to your computer while it is in the Download Mode. If all necessary drivers were installed, it would take about 3 to 5 seconds before the computer detects your device and Odin would display the message ‘Added’. If Odin failed to detect the phone, reinstall the drivers. (USB Drivers for the S4)
- In Odin UI, click on the PDA button and navigate through the directory where you’ve saved the content of the CF Auto Root package you just downloaded a while back. There is only one file with extension .tar.md5. Choose that file and continue.
- Under Options section, make sure both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time were the only ones checked.
- Click the Start button to begin the rooting.
- It would only take less than a minute for Odin to flash the file in order to root the Galaxy S4, the phone will be rebooted once flashing is completed. The message ‘PASS’ will be displayed if the process was successful. Otherwise, you need to repeat the entire rooting process.
You now have root access to your phone.
If you are have questions, problems and suggestions, email us at email@example.com.
Credits: XDA Devs