If you own a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 then you should be getting the first software update of the device which is being pushed over the air or through the Samsung Kies software. The new update brings the device to Android version 4.2.2/Baseband version M919UVUAMDL and provides improvements on the Visual Voicemail and the ISIS app. This update comes in at a 168 MB and the carrier suggests that you have a 50% battery life before downloading and installing it.
Although the update is already available you might not see it yet in your notifications since it is being sent out in waves. If this is the case and you want to try out the update immediately you can do so by using the Samsung Kies software.
How To Update Your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Samsung Kies
- Device software is not rooted
- 50% battery life
- Latest version of Kies software downloaded on PC or MAC
- Data connection
On your Samsung Galaxy S4
- Press the Menu key and tap Settings
- Click on Developer options
- Click on Ok
- Click on USB Debugging
- Click on the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Media device(MTP) at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
On your PC
- Open the Samsung Kies application
- Connect your smartphone using the USB cable
- When Kies recognizes your smartphone a popup window will appear
- Click on Update
- Read on the caution statements and click on the I have read check box
- You can choose Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving
- Click on start upgrade
- The update will first be downloaded to your PC and then to your smartphone
- When completed you will see a Firmware Upgrade Complete window
- Click on OK to confirm
Your device is now updated to the latest version. Some T-Mobile users who have already updated their S4’s have seen significant improvement in performance. Others have also said that several minor issues that they have experienced with their particular device are now absent after the update.