Earlier today, Samsung confirmed that their next high end smartphone, Galaxy S4, will finally be coming to 7 carriers in the US and pre-orders are starting today! The company also confirmed the specs of the phone and the model numbers of the phones for different carriers. One bit of news that has confirmed our fears is that all the Galaxy S4s coming to the US market will have Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 600 quad-core processor and not the much touted Exynos 5 octa-core processors.
The company also confirmed the specs of the phone and we now know that the S4 will have a 5 inch full HD super AMOLED screen, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, a 13 megapixels rear camera, a 1.9 GHz quad-core processor and a choice of 16, 32 and 64 GB onboard storage. A bit of bad news, the S4 will not have an FM Radio receiver because Samsung thinks most of its fans do not find it useful.
The S4 will be available on all carriers in the US, just like the S3.
- AT&T will be selling the Galaxy S4 at an unsubsidized price of $640 or $200 with contract. Pre-orders are live right now and shipments will begin on April 30th.
- Sprint will be taking pre-orders on April 18th and if you are interested you can get the phone for $250 on contract. You will also get a $100 credit if you switch your number to Sprint.
- T-Mobile’s pre-orders will begin on April 24th but shipments will begin on May 1st. If you are looking for the best price deal, then T-Mobile may be your network of choice. The carrier will be offering the phone for $150 with a 2 year contract of $20 each month. Unfortunately, T-Mobile do not have a pre-order page yet.
- If you are on Verizon wireless, you will have to stay in the dark a little longer as there is no official word on when the S4 will be available or what price it will go for. Leaked staples memo a few days ago however indicate that the S4 will be released on Verizon on 30th may, but this may not be accurate.
- US Cellular’s S4 will retail for $200 on contract or $750 without. The phone will be available on shops and begin shipping ‘4 weeks from the start of pre-order’ which puts the date to sometime in mid-May. If you pre-order the S4 on US Cellular, you will also get a flip cover for free.
- Cricket has not made any official statements regarding the S4 but they will have it in stock, probably from mid-May.
- C Spire Wireless have only put up a page on their site that the S4 will be available on the network soon but there are not specific dates or prices.
If you wish not to buy your S4 from a carrier, you have the option to buy it unlocked from local retailers. You can get the phone from Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sam’s Club, Target or Staples.