If you own a Nexus device such as the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 or the Nexus 10 then you will be pleased to know that custom ROM Paranoid Android 3 is now available for these devices. The main feature of this ROM is its “Hybrid Engine” which lets users specify the dpi and layout on a per app basis on an Android device.
Paranoid Android 3.0 Features
- Pie panels are centered and glide right under your thumb, don’t stretch in landscape
- New pie default colors (holo) for disabled per-app-color
- Screenshot option
- New statusbar icons (dont look “washed out” anymore
- New bootanimation
- Unlockpattern cut off is gone
- IME is themable
- MMS black on black fix
- Pie without search agent should be fixed
- PAPrefs has been polished for easier use (still much to do)
- PAC support for bluetooth icon
- (Mako) Perfect kernel calibration, made one extra for PA
- (Mako) Autobrightness is adjusted for it
- (Mako) Fart vibration for on-touch is gone
- Tons of optimizations under the hood
While the custom ROM isn’t perfect yet and has a few bugs here and there it shouldn’t discourage you from using it at all. It provides an alternative and sometimes better user experience on your Nexus device.
If you want to try out Paranoid Android 3.0 on your device here are the general steps to do it.
Note: Make sure your device is rooted with custom recovery installed.
- Update your recovery to the latest version. Pre 4.2 recoveries can mess up your sd card/storage. We recommend TWRP.
- Download pa google apps: http://tinyw.in/NAkO Updated 09-FEB-2013
- Download rom: http://tinyw.in/3pXw
- Perform a factory reset in recovery, unless you are already on PA 2.99+
- Flash ROM first, then gapps
- Wipe dalvik & cache
- Reboot and wait, first bootup can take a little time
- Enter your Google account info, press home when you encounter the black screen
- Please do not restore system apps, system data and Google apps. This can cause bootloops and other problems due to mismatches coming from CM to AOSP and moving from Android version 4.1.2 to 4.2