Another quad core mobile processor is making its way into the market soon courtesy of Marvell. The chipmaker says that they will soon be releasing the PXA1088 SoC (System-on Chip) quad core processor that is based on ARM’s Cortex A7 quad-core architecture. This upcoming SoC will have a GPU that comes with full OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1 support.
Marvell announced that this highly integrated processor provides a high performance yet requires low power. This is advantageous for mobile manufacturers who want to come up with powerful devices that don’t drain the battery too fast. This SoC will support all global broadband standards which should allow for seamless roaming capabilities.
According to Weili Dai, Co-Founder of Marvell, in a press release “Marvell is proud to deliver our single-chip quad-core world-mode mobile platform. This is a testament of our great technology innovation capabilities and engineering prowess to bring our unified platform from dual-core to quad-core to the smart device marketplace with multi-mode capabilities and automatic roaming on 3G networks around the world. We’re very excited that global OEM/ODM partners have embraced and committed to this platform. I believe our industry leading single-chip platform will drive mass market adoption of high-quality, high-performance, very affordable smartphone and tablet solutions worldwide to enrich people’s connected lifestyle.”
Marvell PXA1088 Features
- Support for advanced WCDMA Release 7, TD-SCDMA HSPA+ Release 8, and class 12 EDGE
- 3G protocol stack certified on all major carrier networks and validated via extensive IOT, GCF and field trail testing
- Support for popular full-feature operating systems and industry-standard development tools
- Multi-radio platform capabilities with WLAN/Bluetooth solutions
- Integrated power management and audio Codec IC
- High-performance graphics engine for OpenGL ES 2.0 and 1.1, as well as OpenVG 1.1
- Hardware 1080p decoder and 1080p encoder
- 12mm x 12mm JEDEC standard package-on-package stacked memory option or discrete package option
- Supports the latest Android OS
Marvell will be showcasing this latest processor as well as their other products at the Mobile World Congress to be held at Barcelona this coming February 25-28.