Before we dive into some beginner Android App Development tutorials and case studies, lets go over some basic backgrounds for Android.
We often read that “Android is an open source project”, what does this means?
It’s easier to explain you practically.
Follow these steps:
- Pull up the search engine of your choice (In my case it’s GOOGLE).
- Search for any Android development keywords, such as “Android App Development .”
Notice, you get over 272 million search results containing tutorials, source codes, IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) for android Development, this is basically the Power of Open source, you can easily Download Codes and kits, all for free.
Brief History Of Android
Take a look at the evolution of Android in the past years.
- Google acquires startup Android Inc. to start Android platform
- Work on Dalvik Virtual Machine begins.
- Open Handset Alliance announced
- Early look at SDK
- Google sponsors 1st Android Developer Challenge
- T-Mobile G1 announced
- SDK 1.0 released
- Android released open source (Apache License)
- Android Development Phone 1 released
- SDK 3.1 and 3.2
- Hardware support and UI improvements
- SDK 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- For Q4, combination of Gingerbread and Honeycomb.
- SDK 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- More Responsive Design.
- SDK 5.0 (Key Lime)
- Yet to be released.