The CynogenMod Team recently released the CM10.1 Nightly build, which enables Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update on Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 variants. This marks a go signal for Verizon subscribers and owners of such Galaxy model to go for an upgrade.
Provided in this page is a step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based custom ROM CM10.1 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 model SCH-I535 device.
If you want to try these installation procedures when updating your phone, be sure to read on the important reminders first, so you can get started.
Note that this custom ROM is still under development, which means it may contain some bugs or glitches. All possible issues however, are expected to be completely resolved as the development progresses.
Also bear in mind that this guide is only applicable for Galaxy S3 I535 model, hence, should not be tried on any other Android device to avoid any possible issues or hard brick on your device. To make sure you have the right device to upgrade, verify model number in the Settings, then About Phone menu to see the details.
This tutorial is only optional, and it is already understood that you try this at your own risk. Therefore, we shall not be held responsible for any consequences that may occur on your device. Nevertheless, it is very unlikely that your device would get damaged if you follow all the given procedures correctly, as they are mentioned in this installation guide.
Before you begin with the custom firmware installation, make sure you already have secured all prerequisites, including the following:
- Backup of all necessary files stored in your device. These would include important SMS & Call Log, Contacts & Settings, APN and MMS Settings, WhatsApp Messenger, Images, Videos, and Songs.
- At least 80 percent of battery power on your Galaxy S3 device. Good enough to complete the entire process and avoid potential hard brick when the installation is halted.
- USB Debugging enabled, to allow file transfer between mobile and computer.
- Galaxy S3 is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. ClockworkMod Recovery will be used in this installation process.
1. Download zip files for CM10.1 ROM Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S3 I535. (Filename is: cm-10.1-20130221-NIGHTLY-d2vzw.zip) as well as Google Apps (Filename is: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip) for Google apps package.
2. Connect your Galaxy S3 to the computer with a USB cable.
3. Copy the files you’ve downloaded (see step1) and paste them to your phone’s SD card. DO NOT extract any files.
4. Unplug the USB cable from your phone and PC.
5. Turn your Galaxy S3 off for around thirty seconds.
6. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, you have to press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons on your phone, simultaneously. Wait until the Samsung logo shows up.
7. Release all three buttons for about 30 seconds and hold them again, altogether to see ClockworkMod Recovery screen afterwards. (To browse between options, you have to use the Volume keys of your phone and the Power button to select/confirm an option.)
8. Execute a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so you can restore it later if necessary. To do this, you have to select the Backup and Restore option, which will lead you on to the next screen.
9. On the new screen, select Backup again.
10. Return to the Main Recovery Menu after the backup is completed.
11. Perform data wipe. To do so, you have to select Wipe data/Factory reset option. Choose Yes on the next screen to confirm your action. It would take a few minutes for a data wipe to get finished so please wait.
12. Once data wipe is all done, go back to CWM Recovery main menu and select Wipe Cache Partition.
13. And then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the Advance option to initiate Dalvik cache wiping.
14. Select Install zip from SDCard, and then select Choose zip from SDCard.
15. Look for the custom build file cm-10.1-20130221-NIGHTLY-d2vzw.zip that you copied earlier in the first step. Select the file by pressing the Power button. On the next screen select Yes-Install….zip to confirm and begin ROM installation.
16. After custom ROM installation is completed, repeat step 14 but this time choose the Google apps file gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip. This will instigate Google apps package installation.
17. Once Google apps installation is finished, return to the Main Recovery Menu and Select Reboot System Now. This will reboot the phone and boot up into customized Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM CM10.1.
Congratulations! You now have installed custom ROM CM10.1 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I535.
If you want to restore your previous ROM, then you have to boot into Recovery, and then select Backup and Restore option. Locate your previous ROM from the list and select to confirm action.