We all know that Windows Phone 7.5 smartphone owners won’t be able to upgrade their devices to Windows Phone 8. But that does not mean that they won’t be getting the Windows Phone 8 experience as Microsoft previously announced that they will be releasing an update called Windows Phone 7.8.
Although Microsoft hasn’t made any official statements yet on when the update will be released some major network carriers have already made their announcements on when the update will be rolling out. Australian network Telstra reported that the update to the Nokia Lumia 800 will arrive this January 31 for its subscribers. UK carrier 02 also responded to a tweet by its customers regarding this update saying “by the end of January”. O2 of Germany also tweeted out that the Lumia 710 will be getting the update sometime this January.
Windows Phone Columbia also made an announcement via their Facebook page stating that “As of January 31 and during the first quarter of 2013 some phones with Windows Phone 7.5 will be receiving 7.8 update… Happy weekend.”
The upcoming update won’t be released simultaneously worldwide as carriers in the US haven’t made any announcements of it yet. We are expecting AT&T and T-Mobile to roll this update out quickly once they get it. Verizon on the other hand is known for delaying the roll out of their updates.
So what does the upcoming Windows 7.8 update bring? Listed below are some of its features.
- New homescreen experience with more room for your Live Tiles. Now resizable.
- Set the Bing image of the day as the Lock Screen wallpaper.
- Pocket and child Lock screen Security
- 20 new accent theme colours
- Bluetooth Share (for DRM free media files)
- Cinemagraph add-on to create blend and photo and movie-like animation, creating photos that are alive
- New camera lenses to remove unwanted objects in your photos such as passers-by or people on the edge of the shot the spoil the photo.
- Updated Contacts Transfer application
- Updates Contact Share application
- Ringtone Maker application
Category: Tech News