Sony has built an attractive duo of device, Xperia Z and Xperia ZL. Both the devices are great and is considered as hottest of the hot upcoming devices in 2013. The duo captured a lot of attention at CES 2013 that happened few weeks ago, and Sony Mobile held an event in South East Asia on Saturday, where in which they unveiled the Sony Xperia Z and Sony Xperia ZL. The countries involved in yesterday’s event include Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam. These countries will witness the launch somewhere in first quarter of this year.
It is worth mentioning that just because some device manages to grab a lot of attention at CES doesn’t mean it will shine when launched in real world. We have had devices like Palm Pre and the Motorola DROID BIONIC which did a fantastic job at CES, but turned out to be losers when launched. The duo of Xperia devices, however, should do pretty well, but only time will testify the claim.
As far as the devices go, they are high end smartphones and are packing the right hardware. Sony claims that the devices will deliver the “ultimate viewing experience”. There’s no doubt that they will because they comes with a 5-inch full HD Reality Display which has a full HD resolution of 1080 x 1920. In addition to the amazing screen, Sony has also incorporated the Mobile Bravia Engine 2, which is basically the smartphone version of the technology that is used in successful Sony’s TV sets.
Below is the spec sheet of 2013 Sony Xperia Z flagship smartphone:
• Processor: 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core chip
• Screen: 5-inch Full HD (1080×1920) Reality Display with Mobile Bravia Engine 2
• Memory: 2GB RAM
• Storage: 16GB internal, microSD slot up to 32GB
• Camera: 13-megapixel sensor with HDR for stills and video, face detection and flash, 2.1-megapixel secondary camera both capable of 0180p HD video @ 30fps
• Dimensions: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm
• Weight: 146g
• Connectivity: HDMI via MHL, GLONASS, aGPS, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA, NFC, WiFi, microUSB, HSPA+, LTE
• Battery: 2330mAh with Battery STAMINA mode for up to 4-time battery life extension
• Extras: IP55 and IP57 certified dust and water resistance
There are few differences between Z and ZL, but the main highlighting difference has got ot be the water resistance capability. The Z is more robust and offers water resistance up to 30 minutes to a depth of 3 feet; whereas ZL should be treated as a normal smartphone, which means keep it dry all the time, but then ZL offers the best screen-to-bezel ratio in the market. The Z packs also has a slightly larger battery at 2370 mAh when compared to ZL’s 2330, however, ZL offers an IR blaster and dedicated camera button. In terms of dimension, the ZL thicker than Z by almost 2mm, but both the devices have thickness under 10mm, which is great because they have lot of features to offer.
There’s no official word on pricing yet, but they’re not going to be cheap for sure.