CyanogenMod team has been so busy last month. Many Android devices received official CyanogenMod 10.1 ROMs based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean and one of the lucky ones is HTC Inspire 4G. The installation of this custom ROM is easy; there will only be three packages needed to be installed into the device and it would take just a few minutes to complete.
Just an overview of what’s going to happen in this tutorial, first owners are advised to make a backup of all their data and their current ROMs using ClockworkMod Recovery console. This is to make sure they can be restored when things happen differently than expected. Then owners will have to install the CM 10.1 ROM followed by Google Apps then the Inspire mod.
If you’re one of the owners willing to take a different route to getting Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, continue reading this tutorial as we will guide you through a successful installation. However, you should know that flashing any kind of ROMs or mods into your device will void the warranty. If you want to continue, it’s on you; you can never blame us (The Droid Guy) or the people behind the development of the ROMs and mods used in this guide.
- It is advisable your device should, at least, have 80% battery left but it is mostly recommended you fully-charge it before taking the first step of this guide.
- It is required that the bootloader of your device was unlocked.
- Your device should be rooted for this installation to be successful. [How to root Android phones]
- You should already have installed the ClockworkMod Recovery because its console will be the one to be used in this tutorial. [How to install ClockworkMod Recovery]
- Backup all your data including your contacts, SMS message, videos, music, files, etc… [How to backup data]
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
- Make sure all necessary USB drivers are installed in your computer so your HTC Inspire 4G can properly be detected.
Files to Download
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM for HTC Inspire 4G [LINK]
- Google Apps for this build [LINK]
- InspireMod [LINK]
Step 1: Download all three packages specified above into your computer. Do not extract any one of them as they need to be zipped to be installed.
Step 2: Connect your HTC Inspire 4G to your computer using the USB data cable and copy the files into your phone’s internal memory. Ensure you save them in the root directory, otherwise ClockworkMod Recovery cannot detect them during the installation.
Step 3: Disconnect your device and turn it off.
Step 4: Boot Inspire 4G into recovery mode; press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously until you see HBOOT menu on screen. Locate and navigate to Recovery option from the menu using volume buttons, use Power button to select.
Step 5: It is advisable you perform a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so you can easily restore it later if you don’t like the new one. Select Backup and Restore => Backup.
Step 6: You need to do a full data wipe. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset => Yes.
Step 7: Select Install from SD card => Choose zip from SD card and browse through your device’s internal memory; locate and select fix_root.zip. This is the step where you install CM 10.1 Jelly Bean ROM. It may take a few minutes, so you need to wait.
Step 8: You can now install Google Apps; select Install from SD card => Choose zip from SD card, locate and select gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip. Wait until the installation is complete.
Step 9: Now you need to install Inspire mod; select Install from SD card => Choose zip from SD card and look for inspiremod+gps.zip. Still it may take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10: Go back to main recovery menu and choose Reboot System Now option.
This time, the booting time of your device may be a little longer than usual as part of the installation. However, the next time you boot your Inspire 4G, it would be like before. Just wait until your device is fully active before using it.
[source: XDA Developers]