The CyanogenMod team recently released CyanogenMod 10.1 (this is still a nightly build) custom ROM based on Android 4.2.1 firmware for Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604. While Motorola previously released a statement saying it will do its best to update capable devices to the latest version of Android, it didn’t provide a specific date when this device could receive this update. Therefore, for people who are into taking a different route to updating their devices, CyanogenMod 10.1 is the best option. So, here’s our guide on how to install the custom firmware into the device.
- This tutorial is intended for Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 only and may not work in other models.
- Backup all your data including your contacts, SMS messages, videos, music, files, etc. prior to taking the first step of this tutorial.
- Make sure your device has, at least, 80% of battery left to make sure it won’t run out of power during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
- Your device should be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Necessary drivers should have already been installed in your computer so your device can be detected without problems.
- Download these files to your computer: CM10.1 4.2.1 JB for Xoom WiFi and Google Apps.
Step 1: Connect Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi (MZ604) to your computer using the original USB data cable and copy the files you just downloaded from your computer to your device’s internal memory. Make sure you save them in the root directory so they can be detected by ClockworkMod Recovery during the process.
Step 2: After copying both packages, disconnect your tablet from your computer and turn it off.
Step 3: Now boot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. To do so, just press the POWER button and tap on VOLUME DOWN button repeatedly when boot screen appears. When “Android Recovery” is display on the screen, tap VOLUME UP to enter recovery mode.
Step 4: It is advised you make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM: Backup and Restore => Backup.
Step 5: Now back to main menu, initiate full data wipe: Wipe Data/Factory Reset => Yes.
Step 6: You are now ready to flash CyanogenMod 10.1 for Xoom Wi-Fi. To do so, select Install zip from SD card => Choose zip from SD card and browse through the root directory of your device and choose the cm-10.1-20130105-NIGHTLY-wingray.zip file. Make sure you confirm the installation. Wait until the flashing is done and you are brought back to main menu.
Step 7: You need to repeat the process in step 6 but this time choose gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file to install Google applications. Wait until all apps are installed and that you are brought back to the main menu.
Step 8: You need to restart your system now: choose Reboot System Now option.
Your Motorola Xoom should be running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean through CyanogenMod 10.1 now.
[source: XDA Developers]
[easyazon-block align="center" asin="B0045FM6SU" locale="us"]
[easyazon-cta align="center" asin="B0045FM6SU" height="42" key="amazon-us-tall-orange" locale="us" width="120"]